Nitrates High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep having problems with my Nitrates, I just did about a 40% water change, last saturday i did about a 20% and last wed i did about another 20%. it seems that it goes well about two to three weeks then it comes high. my tap water has good ph levels and ammonia but high on nitrates and the filter water i buy has no ammonia med nitrates and med to low ph levels. any suggestions

twice a day and about a 1/4 of the size of cap on a 1 and 1.6 oz flakes etc.

its really i dump it and some fish gets some others dont and rest of food sinks and thats it. i dont really see them taking them all or going to search for them on floor.

Try cutiing back on your feedings, You dont have any bottom feeders I think that is causing your problem.

Water changes should be done weekly to maintain lower Nitrate readings. From the first post I am assuming that they are done every two to three weeks? Try doing them weekly to maintain the lower number. What is your exact reading?

I do my water changes every saturday, I use to do that with my old 10g before I met all u guys lol

you said your tapwater nitrates are high but you used filtered water to do your water changes?

I think you just have a high bioload in that tank and you may be overfeeding a bit. A crab is sort of a bottom feeder, but not as good as say something like cory cat fish that scarf up everything they come across.

ok I did about a 40% water change and I tood readings from all the water sources.

my tank:
ph: 7.2-7.5
am: 0-0.5
Nitrates: 80

filter water that I buy:
ph: 6.4-6.5
am: 0-25
Nitrates: 0-5.0

My Tap water:
ph: 7.2-7.6
am: 0-0.10
nitrates: 10-25

Petstore water coming with fish:
ph: 7.6
am: 0-25
Nitrates: 20

If your nitrates are 80 after a 40% change. I would suggest changing 25% for a few days in a row untill the number gets under 20.

Back
Top Bottom