Nitrite Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jersysman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been cycling a 5 gallon tank for a few weeks now. The ammonia levels have been coming down about a week (its a 2 ppm), however, so far, I do not have any readings for nitrites. I thought when the ammonia starts coming down that I should be getting some nitrites. Is this the case?

Yes, your right about that...once there is a spike in ammonia...nitrite readings soon follow. In turn...nitrite spikes and then nitrate readings follow.

When did your ammonia "spike" and what level was it?
Have you done any "tank maintenance" that would have disturbed your bacteria (filter cleaning, gravel vacs)?
What is your current bio-load?

I am doing a fishless cycle so there is no bioload. Originally, my ammonia level was 8 ppm, which was too high. So I did a partial water change about 2 weeks ago and dropped them to 6 ppm. Then the ammonia started coming down to where it is now at 2 ppm. It has been coming down for about a week now with still no nitrites at all. Am I going to have to start over? I haven't done any gravel vacuuming. I just changed the water that one time.

So I gather you're using pure ammonia? If this is the case...you may have stalled the cycle. That reading of 8ppm may have been too high and the bacteria would go back into the dormant state.

How long ago was the 8ppm reading? Since you got it back down to 2ppm, you shouldn't have any more problems. But that is similiar to starting at this point. I would test everyday during this type of cycle to ensure that a similiar spike does not occur.

When it was 8 ppm, I did a partial water change. It dropped it to 6 ppm. That was about 2 weeks ago. Since then, the ammonia levels have been dropping. I have yet to read any nitrites, which I thought should be coming when the ammonia levels started dropping.

As I mentioned earlier...you basically stalled the cycle. Once you have it at 2ppm, keep it there until you see nitrites. Once the nitrites are present, keep them at the same level until nitrates appear.

Very puzzling. If 4 ppm of ammonia disappeared, you should have four ppm of nitrite or so in the tank. Unless it was diluted out, or the nitrite has already been converted to nitrate. On the off channce that your nitrite bacteria are already doing their job, you can check for nitrates. If you see it increase 5ppm over baseline, you will know where the nitrite went.

I did test for nitrates and there were none. What I have done is remove all the water and started over again. It can get a little frustrating at times. But, I am determined to see this through. I am sitting at an ammonia level of 4 ppm. I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom