Nitrite spike ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank has been set up for around 4 months now and has been fully cycled for over 2 months. I just got back from vacation and over that time my friend that was keeping care of the tank had a few fish die on him which was unexpected as they all were doing fine when i left. I got back yesterday and did a pwc but did not test. today i figured i would test the water just to check.Everything was normal except for my nitrites

ph-8.2
ammonia-0ppm
nitrites-1ppm
nitrates-5-10ppm
what could have caused a spike in nitrites but not in ammonia?

thanks,
Brandon

P.S. im going to do water changes so don't tell me to do them (y)

Did they over feed?

Maybe a fish died and rotted causing an ammo spike which was turned to trites?

both a possibility, because i counted the fish and the number he reported dead to me was one less than what actually died.

i didn't think i would see a nitrite spike because of a preceding ammonia spike but i guess that makes sense

BHead707 said:
both a possibility, because i counted the fish and the number he reported dead to me was one less than what actually died.

i didn't think i would see a nitrite spike because of a preceding ammonia spike but i guess that makes sense

Sorry for the loss, hate when I lose a fish :(

Well it seems you know how to handle it, I would monitor the fish to make sure they are ok for the next few days.

Hope this is the end of the losses mate

Sorry for the loss, hate when I lose a fish :(

Well it seems you know how to handle it, I would monitor the fish to make sure they are ok for the next few days.

Hope this is the end of the losses mate

thanks i hope i don't lose anymore as well. The rest of the fish look good but ill be sure to test these next few days

Back
Top Bottom