Nitrites and nitrates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
My nitrites and nitrates been high for the past 4 days, the first day I did a 50% water change and been doing 25% water change but there's no difference on the nitrites and nitrates they are at the same level. Have lost 2 fish in less then a week. I don't know what to do!!!!!!
They told me to do a big 80% water change ... Is that something I should do? Will buy plants tomorrow. Any suggestions will really help. I am desperate.

Yes, do a large water change to get the nitrite to zero and the nitrates to 10-20. Large water changes will not harm anything and will save the fish. Check your water daily and do water changes as needed to get the nitrites and nitrates down.

Sounds like your tank has lost it's good bacteria. Have you added more fish recently? Adding 3 or more fish at once can send the tank into a mini cycle while the bacteria grow to accommodate the extra load. Did you mess with the substrate like remove plants, decor, or in any way else? This can release lots of waste into the water that will stimulate a nitrite and then nitrate raise. Have you checked your PH? Sometimes the PH will drop too low and the good bacteria will die. You need to keep it around 6.8 or higher. Once it gets to 6.5 the bacteria slow down and then they die if it gets to 6 or below. Hope some of this helps.

Yes, do a large water change to get the nitrite to zero and the nitrates to 10-20. Large water changes will not harm anything and will save the fish. Check your water daily and do water changes as needed to get the nitrites and nitrates down.

Sounds like your tank has lost it's good bacteria. Have you added more fish recently? Adding 3 or more fish at once can send the tank into a mini cycle while the bacteria grow to accommodate the extra load. Did you mess with the substrate like remove plants, decor, or in any way else? This can release lots of waste into the water that will stimulate a nitrite and then nitrate raise. Have you checked your PH? Sometimes the PH will drop too low and the good bacteria will die. You need to keep it around 6.8 or higher. Once it gets to 6.5 the bacteria slow down and then they die if it gets to 6 or below. Hope some of this helps.

I change decor because they were from Christmas and bought new decor that I will keep for the next 6 months till Halloween comes around. My pH and my amonia are both good. I have not added any new fish. My tank in on the last phase of cycling. Just did a 60% water change and will do a test tomorrow morning to see if anything change. If not, I totally give up. I don't know what else to do. Been spending too much money :/. Well thanks for the help.

Again, you're going to get the same answers. Changing decorations in the middle of a cycle while your bacteria are trying to colonize is not a good idea. You also mentioned in your other post that you replaced the filter media during your cycle, essentially getting rid of a good portion of your bacteria. Just keep doing water changes. If you can get Prime you can use it to help make the nitrites non-toxic for 24-48 hours, but still continue with the water changes and you will need to dose with Prime again which can get expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Water changes are the way to handle it tbh. When you get a reading higher than 0.25ppm on your nitrites do a 50% water change. Wait an hour or two before retesting and if it's still high then do another. Assuming the water you're adding to the tank is clean you will get a notable reduction in nitrites.

You can also feed less until you are through your cycle. Fish don't need to be fed daily so it's perfectly fine to feed every other day or every 3 days. This will also reduce the amount of nutrients in your tank.

Lastly, just to cover more bases; don't change out your filter cartridge. You should never experience a cycle in your tank by removing decorations if your filter is healthy. Only clean the cartridge monthly in old tank water and call it good at that point, any more is unnecessary. The cartridges only need to be changed when they are literally decomposing and falling apart.

Again, you're going to get the same answers. Changing decorations in the middle of a cycle while your bacteria are trying to colonize is not a good idea. You also mentioned in your other post that you replaced the filter media during your cycle, essentially getting rid of a good portion of your bacteria. Just keep doing water changes. If you can get Prime you can use it to help make the nitrites non-toxic for 24-48 hours, but still continue with the water changes and you will need to dose with Prime again which can get expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

We'll no one really told me about the whole changing decorations and the filter will cause loose of the good bacteria. I just wanted to change the look on my tank. And I've been using prime since day one when I bought the tank (which I'm running low) but will keep doing water changes daily till my tank is cycle.

Water changes are the way to handle it tbh. When you get a reading higher than 0.25ppm on your nitrites do a 50% water change. Wait an hour or two before retesting and if it's still high then do another. Assuming the water you're adding to the tank is clean you will get a notable reduction in nitrites.

You can also feed less until you are through your cycle. Fish don't need to be fed daily so it's perfectly fine to feed every other day or every 3 days. This will also reduce the amount of nutrients in your tank.

Lastly, just to cover more bases; don't change out your filter cartridge. You should never experience a cycle in your tank by removing decorations if your filter is healthy. Only clean the cartridge monthly in old tank water and call it good at that point, any more is unnecessary. The cartridges only need to be changed when they are literally decomposing and falling apart.

I will keep doing water changes till my tank is fully cycle. I feed my fish every other day, but might change it to every 3 days. Thanks for all the help

I will keep doing water changes till my tank is fully cycle. I feed my fish every other day, but might change it to every 3 days. Thanks for all the help

Out of curiosity, what are you testing with? Do you have a test for ammonia?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

********* UPDATE*********
So after an 80% water change the nitrites stayed the same but the nitrate went from 20 ppm to 10 ppm.
What should I do next??? I think they still too high.

***** UPDATE **** ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420682365.581110.jpg bought 2 plants to help with nitrites and nitrates and of course water change as well. Hopefully this will take care of my problem.

You may want to consider raising the water level in that tank. Not only will it provide greater volume for swimming and diluting wastes, it will help the filter process more water. More flow, potentially more conversion of nitrites to nitrates.
If the bunch plant (anacharis) on the left has a rubber band or plant weight holding them together, it is recommended that these be removed and the stems be planted individually about an inch or so apart. More light gets to the bottom of the stem and less likely to rot while bunched together.

You may want to consider raising the water level in that tank. Not only will it provide greater volume for swimming and diluting wastes, it will help the filter process more water. More flow, potentially more conversion of nitrites to nitrates.
If the bunch plant (anacharis) on the left has a rubber band or plant weight holding them together, it is recommended that these be removed and the stems be planted individually about an inch or so apart. More light gets to the bottom of the stem and less likely to rot while bunched together.

Will do that right away! Thanks a lot!!

I know it seems like a never ending process to get your tank established. I thought I would go crazy from all the testing and water changes. LOL It does get better. If you follow all the advice given you should be good to go in a couple of months or so. It seems like a long time but it really isn't.

I know it seems like a never ending process to get your tank established. I thought I would go crazy from all the testing and water changes. LOL It does get better. If you follow all the advice given you should be good to go in a couple of months or so. It seems like a long time but it really isn't.

I hope so! Looks like the live plans are helping so that's good news!! Might have to buy some soon! I just hope it does settle soon. I am going crazy!

Back
Top Bottom