No access to tank for 7 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good afternoon all,

It has been a while since I have posted!

We are redoing the wood floors on the main level of our home. My aquarium is on the second floor. I was told when they start, I will not have access to the second floor for a week. My question is two fold:

Will my fish be okay for one week of no feeding?

Will my tank be okay without being dosed of fertilizer for a week or will there be an algae bloom?

The lights are on timers, as well as the CO2 system so those will be completely fine. I use PPS Pro fertilizer that I put in everyday manually, which is the worry.

Thank you!

Id be more worried about dust and fumes depending on what they're using for sealer. Do you have a ladder? I'd use a ladder to access the room, plastic and tape the door off from inside making it airtight. Then you can use the ladder to check in as well.

Id be more worried about dust and fumes depending on what they're using for sealer. Do you have a ladder? I'd use a ladder to access the room, plastic and tape the door off from inside making it airtight. Then you can use the ladder to check in as well.

There is some sort of new technology being used that "prevents dust" but I know dust will still get out. The fumes I am not as worried about as we will still be staying in the home, just in the basement level. Ladder could be possible, although difficult being on a hill. If I can't get to it, what are your thoughts on the two questions I had? I know you also have experience with high tech aquariums.

Dustless still leaves a little dust bit far far less.. Id set the lights to half photo period. A lot can happen in a week. Pretend it's a cloudy week is all.

I am wih Brook.I would be more concearned with dust and fumes..
We both work construction.. Would you have bought it if we said it will be a mess and stink or kill your fish? I m not saying the crew you hired won't live up to their sale ,but I would have a plan for the worse in place...
The ladder and one feeding if you feel so inclined during the week..
You know you are going to want to check on them anyways...
I have left my low tech tank for 9 days without feeding no problem.
Prepare for it by feeding heavy until 2-3 days before and doing extra water changes...

What if I leave my fan on in the room and do my best to seal it? I ask because I may have no choice when trying to get into that room. The house is on a Hill unfortunately.

Then tape it from the outside before you leave, a fan in a sealed room will create negative pressure most likely. It will compromise the seal. I would turn to co2 off, lights off and food off, seal it up as tight as possible and leave it for the week. Maybe crack a window ever so slightly, unless it's freezing cold. Then no.
Something else to consider. If they're taking floors down to bare wood, not just buffing and polishing, the machines they use draw a ton of power and make a ton of noise/vibration. Chances are they'll use your washer/dryer plug, if not they may be tripping the panel on occasion. This may affect the tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom