No goldfish in a tropical tank, right? Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've understood that there are temperature issues that make keeping a goldfish with tropical a no-no. Is that rule absolute, or is it something that the goldfish could get used to?

I'd love to have one in my tropical tank, but if it's too tough for the goldfish, I'll just forget the whole thing.

It is an absolute with the temp. Sure it would probably survive, but it's lifespan would be reduced. The main issue is ammonia production. Goldfish produce a ton. Ammonia is less toxic at low temps than at higher temps, so they cause problems quickly.

Yes, Goldifsh like very low temps and produce TONS of waste. For what you feed them they produce 3x or more waste. I never really had a knack for goldifsh but that is just me, and i would reocmmend if u wanted some setting up around a 35gal tank and stocking it with only goldifsh.-If you do esnure GREAT filtration due to their messy habits.

JMHO

I'm doin' the oscar thing, so I'm used to uber-messy fish. But yeah. I'm not going to put a goldfish in a tank with a temp it can't handle.

i dont agree with most goldfish-in-tropical-tank forums...if u put one goldfish in a tropical tank, it isnt really gonna hurt that much...i have a goldfish in my 55 gal and my buddy has a big one in his 90 gal...neither of us have had problems, the fish love it...just keep an eye on ammonia and nitrates/nitrites

I used to live in Darwin, Australia in the tropical north. In the wet season temps regularly reached 35deg C during the day with a minimum of 29 deg C at night. My sister kept goldfish that not only lived in these tropical temps, they thrived.

I agree that goldfish like cold water, but from my experience they also thrive in warm temps.

I think the waste issue, and the fact that aggressive tropicals will tear the fins and out compete fancy gold fish for food, are more of a consideration.

Fancy golds like water in the 70's, and they can do well up to the low 80's. Some breeders use the higher temp to speed up the growth rate. However, golds require lots of O2 - due to larger body mass. Since warm water holds less O2 than cold, you willl need to have more aeration & water surface aera (I've read figures of 20-30 gal per fish). So to keep golds in tropical waters, you prob. need a pond.

Hmm. Now, I'm not sure. But I'll err on the side of caution and forget about it. I really wanted one of those Ranchu goldfish too. pfft

Well, my oscar is only 4 inches right now, and if I got a moderately large or medium-sized goldfish, I doubt he'd get eaten.

That's not to say he wouldn't get nipped at and terrorized, but it's a non-issue because I've decided to forget about it.

Complete total misconception. Goldfish do great at tropical temperatures, preferably in the mid 70's. I have been keeping goldfish at tropical temperatures for a couple years now. They do GREAT. In fact, if you keep the fancier "egg shaped" varities (orandas, black moor, etc.), they do much BETTER in a tank heated to the mid 70's.

Look here - http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/comfish.html - everything listed on there (with the possible exception of the loaches) is either tropical or sub tropical. I keep everything on that page with my goldfish and my tank does great.

I don't know where this misconception ever got started.

I agree Medusa. I have been coyly (no pun intended) saying this in a few posts....... :)

I think they are hardy fish which cope well with a range of conditions.

I don't think temperature is the main concern. Goldfish have no problems in warmer water. But temperment wise for your oscar, and also disease wise. Goldfish and tropical mixing raises disease concerns, and for the well being of both fish, I would keep them in species tanks.

Look here - http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/comfish.html - everything listed on there (with the possible exception of the loaches) is either tropical or sub tropical. I keep everything on that page with my goldfish and my tank does great.

Uh huh, but do you notice that everything listed on that page are fish that can stand temperatures down in the 60's? Look at the profiles for most all tropical fish, this isn't the case. While I agree that they can be kept in warmer waters, I still wouldn't say that they thrive in it.

This was already stated in this thread, but I'll state it again. Goldfish require lots of oxygen. So, if you are going to keep goldies at a tropical temperature, you need to make sure that you have more than adequate filtration.

I'm keeping a black moor with tropical fish now, he has lived healthy for years, but I think there are just things that need attention (temp, aeration, feeding, etc)

:wink:

My tank is cycling at 15x an hour. And I know that an airstone can't increase your bio-load, but it helps get oxygen down in the tank. I've got one of those.

I'm conflicted again... but I don't think I'll get a goldfish any time soon, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom