No more angels :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, the angels are gone. They just proved to not be a very good match. I was becoming more concerned that they would kill each other, so I adopted them out to a good home. Bummer.

On the other hand, it's like a whole new tank! The personalities of all my tetras have really started to come out. The best part is that my normally elusive hillstream loach has been out and about ever since I took the angels out. :) I never saw them bother him, but who knows... Maybe they were just so much bigger than him they scared him...

I'm waiting on my lfs to get some silver zebra angels from a local breeder, then I will get six of those in the tank and start all over!

same thing happened to me too. i had to give them up with specific instructions that they be sold to different customers.
looking forward to new ones!

I haven't had good luck with angels myself. I think if you want angels that's all you can have really, or they will just abuse everyone else in the tank. :)

Sorry to hear that JR but you did the right thing. Often a mis-matched pair/group will wreck havoc on themselves and their tankmates. Starting over with them from a breeder will definitely produce better results.

squeekness said:
I think if you want angels that's all you can have really, or they will just abuse everyone else in the tank.

Cichlids for the most part can live in peace with other compatible species...it's just when they are not comfy with each other that problems develop. I've had mine in with different species for two years, not a single issue.

I haven't had good luck with angels either. Sadly, I've had a couple die on me, one for no visible reason and the other was most likely killed by the one I have now (who was very peaceful towards the other from what I saw). Now the one I have chases my 2 rams, and gets after the gourami sometimes. I've considered giving him/her away myself. My experience with them has never been that good.

Funny thing about cichlids is their individual personalities.

I have three angels living peacefully with each other and about 20 large tetras. In fact, some of the bolder tetras will actually approach the angels and snatch food from them! I haven't had any aggression issues to speak of aside from some minor posturing by the dominant angel.

On the other hand, I've had no luck whatsoever with firemouths. Every firemouth I've had terrorized its tankmates or was murdered by one of its own. Lots of people here keep firemouths in community tanks or with other cichlids with no problems whatsoever. Go figure.

Like I said, each cichlid fish has its own personality. These guys are living examples of YMMV!

We're fairly new tank owners (since Christmas), and my first angel died after about a week and a half, I think due to the higher ammonia. After our water stabilized, I got hubby another one... he hid-out for about 4 days, then came out and ate, and now he's the life of the tank. Gets along great with the 2 gouramis, chinese algae eater, wui fang algae eater, and sumo loach. The angel's not aggressive at all. Yea! And he might actually live!

Mine got along great with everyone, even each other. Come pwc time, though, and they were getting increasingly aggressive towards one another. Decided (with some help, thanx JC) to get them to someone with more room. They are currently being housed together in a 200gal community tank, and I was just told today that they made it through the pwc without a problem. Maybe they just needed more room. We'll see!

Back
Top Bottom