noisy noisy! (new filter)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willowthepoet

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just got my first aquaclear filter the other day and set it up last night on my old tank to begin seeding the filter...

it's so loud! 8O

i'm fairly certain it's running properly... water is running through it and the flow is steady... but i've never really heard my filter running before. it sounds like rattling, but it's not the side of the filter hitting the side of the tank.

i can live with the noise, i'm just wondering if there's something i didn't do right. i don't want to burn out the motor because i'm not exactly in a position to go out an buy another one.

Is your water level up pretty high? Otherwise you might hear a splashing noise as the water exits the filter.

Mine is almost completely silent though.

it's not splashing water... the water level is almost at the height of the filter output (i don't like to see water line below the rim of the tank)

the actual filter is making a rattling type of noise... like the impeller is running against the side of the tube... or... something.

i just looked at it again and it all looks fine. i'm confused.

It could very well be rubbing the inside of the housing for the impeller. Take the filter apart and remove the motor. Look at the metal post that the impeller sits on and make sure it is centered. I cleaned mine a couple weeks ago and bent it a little out of kilter and it rattled really bad. I simply pulled it to where it looked centered a couple time and it stopped.

i have an emperor 400 and i noticed a lot of noise when it was new. lasted about a week and a half then it has gradually become quieter... maybe you will experience the same?

Make sure the tube is pushed all the way in place. It seems like that is a common problem when the tube is not secured all the way in place.

My recommendation before setting up any filter, HOB or cannister, is to reseat the impeller. My Emperor 280 and both my 400's were very quiet when new, and got quieter as gunk built up. There was no rattle at all. If there's any sign of rattling, turn it off immediately and pull out the impeller unit and reseat it. The rattling could very well cause internal problems if left like that, such as slowly chewing through the plastic housing.

Back
Top Bottom