Normal Kribensis behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a Kribensis last night (let's call him/her Bob for now). The guy I bought Bob from had him/her in a bag in his car since noon yesterday and I met the guy and bought Bob around 7 that night. Of course he/she was freaked out and wanted out of the bag. I finally got him/her home and in the tank (after floating the bag for 15-20 minutes) and as soon I put him/her in the tank he/she went and hid. First behind a plant and then inside the castle. The light went off at 9 and I saw Bob come out every now and then and go back inside the castle. Today, he/she is still hiding, but does come out for a little bit. Is this normal for Kribensis because every fish I've ever gotten never hid when they were introduced to my tank and other fish. Should I get another Kribensis to make Bob feel more comfortable in my tank or just give him/her time to adjust?

Your fish was in terrible conditions and is very understandably extremely stressed. The cichlids definitely like to hide in caves. I would say give him/her time, along with pristine water and I'm sure "Bob" will warm up.

Btw females have rounded tails and males have pointed tails, the same applies to their dorsal fins.

Btw females have rounded tails and males have pointed tails, the same applies to their dorsal fins.

This picture sucks cuz I zoomed in on my phone cuz when I get too close to the tank he/she scurries away and hides, but can you tell in this pic if Bob is male or female?
IMG_5376.jpg

Also, I noticed he/she isn't as colorful like in the pics on Google or fish sites. Is that because he/she is stressed or is one gender more colorful than the other?

Looks like a male. Males are less colorful, but I still think it's missing some color probably mainly from the abuse he went through. My krib had almost no color from a 20min car ride, but colored up quickly after being in my tank Honestly can't believe it lasted in a bag for 7-8 hours. Here's a picture of mine when I got him home. IMG_3441.jpg

Looks like a male. Males are less colorful, but I still think it's missing some color probably mainly from the abuse he went through. My krib had almost no color from a 20min car ride, but colored up quickly after being in my tank Honestly can't believe it lasted in a bag for 7-8 hours. Here's a picture of mine when I got him home. View attachment 293375

It's only because the guy lived an hour and a half away from me and he had other errands and deliveries to run. Also, we decided to meet him at 7 cuz we went to the movies an hour before in the same area so we met him after the movie. Hopefully he will get accustomed to his new tank and tank mates soon and color up more. I feed my fish Omega One Super Color Flakes and frozen Bloodworms so hopefully those foods will also help him color up more.

Back
Top Bottom