Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Not enough algae for Chinese algae eater

Hi, I have had a golden chinese algae eater in my tank for about 10 days now.
It's eaten all the algae that i let build up for a while and doesn't seem to eat any of the food i try and give it.
I have tried putting cucumber in for him, but he's not interested. He wont seem to eat pellet type food.
I tried to find some algae tablets, but they dont have them at my local fish market. They have about 100 small fish shops at market selling everything from goldfish to reef sharks and a huge inventory of fish food but nobody has heard of algae tablets.
I've put in some algae covered stones and items from another tank, and they are clean within a few mins.

Anyone got any suggestions for what i can feed him?

He is in a 100 gallon tank next to a window so i was hoping there would be enough algae for him, but apparently i was wrong.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Amazon.com : Tetra 77016 TetraVeggie Algae Wafers, 3.03-Ounce, 86-Gram : Pet Food : Pet Supplies
You could order these off amazon I used them for my pleco and he loved them. Also Im not sure if he would snack on them, but I know marimo moss balls are actually algae. Someone else may have some insight on that.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77016-Te...blets+for+fish

You could order these off amazon I used them for my pleco and he loved them. Also Im not sure if he would snack on them, but I know marimo moss balls are actually algae. Someone else may have some insight on that.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkokbandit View Post
Hi, I have had a golden chinese algae eater in my tank for about 10 days now.

It's eaten all the algae that i let build up for a while and doesn't seem to eat any of the food i try and give it.

I have tried putting cucumber in for him, but he's not interested. He wont seem to eat pellet type food.

I tried to find some algae tablets, but they dont have them at my local fish market. They have about 100 small fish shops at market selling everything from goldfish to reef sharks and a huge inventory of fish food but nobody has heard of algae tablets.

I've put in some algae covered stones and items from another tank, and they are clean within a few mins.

Anyone got any suggestions for what i can feed him?

He is in a 100 gallon tank next to a window so i was hoping there would be enough algae for him, but apparently i was wrong.

Thanks

CAEs only eat algae when young. Once they grow into the belligerent monsters they grow into they eat flakes then move onto fishes external organs and slime coats so I've heard.
A 100 gallon is a good tank for one but most tank mates won't like him at all.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply, I'm in bangkok so not sure if amazon would deliver here. I will ask around at market about the moss balls though.
Another idea i had was to set up a tank in the sun with a load of stones in and try and grow algae on them.

Thanks again
Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

I have heard that they become monsters as they get older. Mine is about 5 inches long now, so he could get that way soon. He is in a tank with african cichlids so hopefully they will keep him in order
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkokbandit View Post
I have heard that they become monsters as they get older. Mine is about 5 inches long now, so he could get that way soon. He is in a tank with african cichlids so hopefully they will keep him in order

Hmmm, if they were going to be in check I would say they'd do so in an African tank.
The constant movement and aggression could keep him in line.

Tags
algae, algae eater, ate, chi, eat, eater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com