Not enough algae for Chinese algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bangkokbandit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have had a golden chinese algae eater in my tank for about 10 days now.
It's eaten all the algae that i let build up for a while and doesn't seem to eat any of the food i try and give it.
I have tried putting cucumber in for him, but he's not interested. He wont seem to eat pellet type food.
I tried to find some algae tablets, but they dont have them at my local fish market. They have about 100 small fish shops at market selling everything from goldfish to reef sharks and a huge inventory of fish food but nobody has heard of algae tablets.
I've put in some algae covered stones and items from another tank, and they are clean within a few mins.

Anyone got any suggestions for what i can feed him?

He is in a 100 gallon tank next to a window so i was hoping there would be enough algae for him, but apparently i was wrong.

Hi, I have had a golden chinese algae eater in my tank for about 10 days now.

It's eaten all the algae that i let build up for a while and doesn't seem to eat any of the food i try and give it.

I have tried putting cucumber in for him, but he's not interested. He wont seem to eat pellet type food.

I tried to find some algae tablets, but they dont have them at my local fish market. They have about 100 small fish shops at market selling everything from goldfish to reef sharks and a huge inventory of fish food but nobody has heard of algae tablets.

I've put in some algae covered stones and items from another tank, and they are clean within a few mins.

Anyone got any suggestions for what i can feed him?

He is in a 100 gallon tank next to a window so i was hoping there would be enough algae for him, but apparently i was wrong.

CAEs only eat algae when young. Once they grow into the belligerent monsters they grow into they eat flakes then move onto fishes external organs and slime coats so I've heard.
A 100 gallon is a good tank for one but most tank mates won't like him at all.

Thanks for the reply, I'm in bangkok so not sure if amazon would deliver here. I will ask around at market about the moss balls though.
Another idea i had was to set up a tank in the sun with a load of stones in and try and grow algae on them.

Thanks again :fish2:

I have heard that they become monsters as they get older. Mine is about 5 inches long now, so he could get that way soon. He is in a tank with african cichlids so hopefully they will keep him in order :)

I have heard that they become monsters as they get older. Mine is about 5 inches long now, so he could get that way soon. He is in a tank with african cichlids so hopefully they will keep him in order :)

Hmmm, if they were going to be in check I would say they'd do so in an African tank.
The constant movement and aggression could keep him in line.

Back
Top Bottom