Note of Caution and a Testament to Livebearer Hardiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So we moved my bros 20 gallon last night. He had 2 frogs, 4 neon tetras, and various livebearer fry. Not the word had. 80 percent water change so we could pick it up and he forgot prime! In less than an hour ALL 4 neons where dead as door nails and NOBODY looked happy! However today most (if not all) the fish recovered (obviously not the neons). So lesson? Dont forget the prime! Fun Fact? Livebearers are tougher than neon tetras. As are ADFs...

In the future, I would recommend putting all the fish in a bucket of dechlorinated water and then emptying the tank completely to move it. You never know, even with a small tank, when moving it with water will cause a stress fracture.

Yes, they are. Neon Tetras are notoriously delicate, but are relatively hardy by other standards. Livebearers are pretty and very hardy.
Yea I had always heard neons were hardy.... Which is hardier neons or cardinals? Also which is larger because I have gotten the 2 confused.
In the future, I would recommend putting all the fish in a bucket of dechlorinated water and then emptying the tank completely to move it. You never know, even with a small tank, when moving it with water will cause a stress fracture.
We drained almost all the water and never took it off the stand. Me and my dad picked up stand and all and it didnt move far.

I don't consider either hardy. I would say tank bred cards are hardier than neons..don't know about wild caught though.

I thought the cardinals were bigger. Not by much though right?

I tell you what though siva, the wild caught ones seem to have MUCH more color! My LFS got some and the wild caught ones had full deep deep red color and the tank raised looked washed out!

Yeah, not by much.

Really, wow, maybe they were still stressed from transit or something? Sometimes severum has tank bred cards, in the photos they look beautiful.

Yeah, not by much.

Really, wow, maybe they were still stressed from transit or something? Sometimes severum has tank bred cards, in the photos they look beautiful.
Maybe. It was so wierd! I kid you not the wild caught ones were some of the most beautiful fish I have ever seen! Now the were young so that may have had something to do with it.

Hey since your online I have a question (and I think I am allowed to hijack my own thread?) Actually I have a couple questions all about my scarlet badis.
1) They never really did much hiding but just recently they have started. I have not adding any fish or anything so do you know why the might be hiding?
2) My "females" are showing some gorgeous color. They are much duller than the males but one of the females has distinct orange stripes and a little red on the fins with a hint of the blue. She also showed alittle territorial aggression and seems to always stay in one spot. Also I have noticed a little black on a few of the fish. Any ideas? lol
3) And finally what small schooling fish would be good with the scarlets?

1. Same here. Didn't hide much at first. Now they all pretty much live in a big tank busting amazon sword, just popping out every now and then.
2. A little black? Where? Also, are the females bigger than the males?
3. I just got 10 microdevario kubotai. They are gorgeous! In photos you just can't tell...they are bright green little gems. Embers or any other micro rasbora would work well also.

1. Same here. Didn't hide much at first. Now they all pretty much live in a big tank busting amazon sword, just popping out every now and then.
2. A little black? Where? Also, are the females bigger than the males?
3. I just got 10 microdevario kubotai. They are gorgeous! In photos you just can't tell...they are bright green little gems. Embers or any other micro rasbora would work well also.
The black is most noticeable in the face area and seems to be mostly on the edges of lips and stuff like that. No other "symptoms" however.
Would bloodfin, black skirt, or red minor tetras be to much for the scarlets? I also noticed the black kuhlis are hiding to so maybe they are the same as the scarlets lol

OOH What about rummy nose tetras! Those are the ones with red noses and black and white tails right? Or is that the false ones...

Oh that's wierd! I've never seen any black on them.

Definitely no on the black skirts. Not sure on the others. I pulled a scarlet badis out of a tank at my lfs that was with average size tetras..can't remember what type they were..but the badis was beat up badly. Rummies might be OK though. Yup, those are the ones. Very cool looking but sensitive..more so than the neons.

Oh that's wierd! I've never seen any black on them.

Definitely no on the black skirts. Not sure on the others. I pulled a scarlet badis out of a tank at my lfs that was with average size tetras..can't remember what type they were..but the badis was beat up badly. Rummies might be OK though. Yup, those are the ones. Very cool looking but sensitive..more so than the neons.
Well Im not to worried about the sensitivity because my water is pristine! I have so many plants that I really dont worry to much. I took some water to my LFS to test (I think it had been a week or 2 since my last water change) and my params were: amm 0, trite 0 trates 0 lol plants are doin well!
So they wouldnt be too agressive or anything? The rummy nose I mean?

GodFan said:
Well Im not to worried about the sensitivity because my water is pristine! I have so many plants that I really dont worry to much. I took some water to my LFS to test (I think it had been a week or 2 since my last water change) and my params were: amm 0, trite 0 trates 0 lol plants are doin well!
So they wouldnt be too agressive or anything? The rummy nose I mean?

They aren't aggressive, but when I say sensitive, they are sensitive! Try and buy tank bred rummies. Lots of people here have had bad luck with them. I got some last week and lost three for no apparent reason. If you could only find wild rummies, dont buy them at all. Wild are so much more sensitive.

ok will do. I guess they are not just sensitive to, amm, trites, and trates?

Correct, they often can't make it through the acclimation period. They will do better in soft acidic water.

GodFan said:
ok will do. I guess they are not just sensitive to, amm, trites, and trates?

They are, but rummies have a reputation of dying for no reason even without a nitrate spike.

From some of the things I've read here is that you have good luck with them(as many do) or they all die for no reason.

But don't worry, the tank bred ones are a lot hardier/less likely to die for no reason

Back
Top Bottom