Beginning Again - and have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadegraw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,
I have had many tanks and learned alot (3, 55, 10 long and 15 tall). My most recent tank (15 tall) actually started leaking, so it's been a good year without fish. My kids got me a 20 gal (standard I guess) for Christmas/Birthday, and am looking forward to getting it cycling.

I have had turtles in my teens and really enjoyed them as well.

I live in St. Pete FL, in a drafty mason block house for the past 25 yrs. I learned to deal with temp changes, which of course brought on Ick. I used the heat method when that happened. I have grown a 1.5 in bala to an 8 in, and then went to a store to surrender him to a bigger home, I got $5 store credit, they sold him for $45 - pissing me right off.

I have found I love the cardinal tetras, but they are not hardy enough for the temps in my home. I have had great luck with tiger barbs (schools of 7+), neon tetras (schools of 7+), cherry barbs (at least 4), zebra danios (usually 2), marble hatchets (2 or 3), and the mickey mouse platy (grandparent to many). So all levels have movement and color. I had a Juli Cory for 12 yrs, and lost him with the last take, so I will be looking into a few cory's for the new tank.

I have ordered some earth tone gravel and will get the tank cycling shortly. I know winter can be iffy for a new tank or to buy fish, but hope to have all up and running, ready for new fish by Feb 1.

Last time I did I started a tank, I had fake plants and cycled for a good 4 wks, adding fish slowly and a pleco at about 3 mths. I would like to try real plants, as I never have. I was advised to bury potted, or plant with a plant "wafer". When do I put them in a new cycling tank (2, 3 or the 4wks into the cycling)?

With a house that gets warm in the summer as I keep the AC on 78, I do keep a bubble wall, as they play in it and it has that sense of cooler water. In the FL winter, we can change temps in a day (55 at night and a muggy 80 during the day), so I tend to use a towel around the tank rather than a heater, to try to keep temps steady. But may lean on a heater for overall health.

I didn't have this type of forum learning back in 1995 when I got the 3 gl, but that is what started my love of fish keeping. My x was an alcoholic and I was told aquariums help them, but it helped me more than him as I fought with depression. I put myself into this undersea world, watching the different characters these finned friends have. My granddaughter, when she was unconsolable, would love to go watch the fish. She loved watching the baby platy's grow.

Any and all advise is welcome!

Welcome to AA. Glad you found us.
I hear you about the store markup...happens to me all the time with plants.
I would look into getting a heater to keep temps stabile. There are many reliable brands out there to choose from.
Interesting about the cardinals and neons. Usually it is the latter that is the more sensitive type.

Thank you! Yes, will work with heater more and will have the tank lights on a timer. I found an article here about plants. With the new tank having LEDs, will these still be good live plants to work with for the 1st time??

Java Fern
Java Moss
Anacharis
Watersprite
Wisteria
most Anubias
most Crypts

Do you have a water testing kit, like an API master kit? Very important.

This is a good section to start reading up on things.

Articles - Aquarium Advice

The link in my signature is a good overview of things which may be explained better and have some information you might not have had back before when you had tanks then.

There are only three pages of titles - they are not by topic so go through and look for the ones that are good for your needs
like .......and so on!
Planted Tank Basics - Aquarium Advice

So You Want a Planted Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom