O my GOODNESS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't understand why people do not do research. Look at the add below on craiglist.

2 Fish tanks with fish and accessories

They stuffed a irradecent shark, dragon goby, and a alligator gar in a 55g. Look at the size of the aligator gar. I am fighting over wheather to get it fromthem and put the fish in my 75g. I have compatible fish (except for the dragon goby which needs brackish) to go with them. So i need opinons, should i get them and put them in my 75g and see if i can find them a home or maybe keep them? Or just leave it? Quick awnsers people.

That makes me want to scream!! That is just terrible. Surprisingly tho, I can believe someone would do that. However, I wouldn't know what to do. Sorry.

So whats the verdict, do you guys think i shoudl get them?

I vote to get them. You know whoever does get them, they will stay in that tank. I would take them, and try to find bigger homes for them, since you know what you are doing.

you dont have a big enough tank... do you have a big aquarium nearby you could donate them to?

I know i do not have a big enough tank but my 75g is better then a 55g. I am sure that gar cant even turn around. I have been wanting to do a tank with a gar, i wonder what size it is. But that is wishful thinking because i know he is gonna be too big for the 75g even (i was thinking if he was small enough for the 75g and i upgrade later). I might be able to find a place for the gar but i think i would have trouble finding a home for the irradecent shark and the dragon goby.

DKpate that is true, maybe i should snag them either way, but that is why i am looking for opinions.

I would love to but convince my parents for me first (there peeved that i am looking at more tanks when my 75g is n't even finished, lol).

O my goodness

Tough one.Taking on all three is going to be quite a responsibility.The Gar is eventually going require space in the thousands of gallons if it is an alligator gar.In the wild they can reach 7-8ft. and hundreds of pounds.The one that I came in contact with was passed on to me as an 8" specimen from a 20 gallon which ended up in my 225 "cold water" tank with a couple of Bass,Sunfish,andCrayfish.The Gar can adapt to crowded conditions for short term but keep in mind the cost of keeping him,lot of feeder fish if you don't have a local waterway to seine minnows from.The shark would probably the simplest to keep or pass on.Dragon Goby being brackish and somewhat of a finicky feeder (IMHO) will be another challenge.How someone kept these three going in the tank origanally described is beyond me.

ty glennj, i did know about that and i am a experienced keeper of gar. I would never keep a alligator gar long term unless i had the room for a humunguss pond. I am gonna try and make some calls today and see if i can find a place to donat him. I would provide a home for the dragon goby for myself. All the others would go in my 75g for now.

Back
Top Bottom