Obssessed with being over-safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish24907

Aquarium Advice Regular
Lately I've noticed I've become a bit obsessed and over the top when it comes to being clean and safe with my fish tank.

Like a few days ago I pre-soaked my fish's freeze dried bloodworms in a cup that has been washed with dishwashing soap before. I realized this after I fed them to my fish and I started to worry that the bloodworms they ate had soap particles on it.

And then last night I made cuts into my tank's hood, and then later I noticed that some little plastic pieces from hood might have fell into the tank... so then I feared that the fish might have thought they were food and tried eating them only to choke on them.

Now, is this totally irrational? Do some of you start worrying like this too or is it just me? Any tips on how to ease my mind?

I think a lot of people worry... you just need to remember that they are kind of smart.. some foil fell in my tank from frozen food and it was in there for 3 days before I noticed .. they were fine and didn't mess with it

Yeah, if you keep fish the worrying goes with it especially when you have a new experience.

If they test the plastic bits (as in try to eat them) they will spit them right out.

Since you said the cup was used a few days ago, it was fine.

You can ease your mind by realizing that you are being as careful and caring as possible. You only need to read these forums to know that even when people do everything right, things can go wrong. You will also see that sometimes people make huge mistakes and the fish live on. Do your best and don't be too hard on yourself.

Now, is this totally irrational? Do some of you start worrying like this too or is it just me? Any tips on how to ease my mind?

Oh don't worry ... with more time, you'll worry less and less, but still remain vigilant. Your "irrational worrying" just shows your high level of care and concern. Sounds like your fish are in better hands than 1/2 the people I come across at LFS's.

I would say take it all in perspective. I am assuming you have a fish tank because you enjoy keeping fish as a hobby? Hobbies have the distinct goal of being enjoyable. If keeping fish is more stressful than relaxing, then it's being counter productive.

I agree that if you keep fish you should do what you can to provide properly for them and all. On the other hand, people are people, and at some time we all inevitably make mistakes. You gotta know that something tragic can and probably will happen to your tank at some point in time. It happens, its sad, but don't let it eat you up inside.

I killed our 6 tetras a couple months ago because of a stupid mistake. I was sad. It was the death of the last of our original fish. But later that same day I was looking at the opportunity I had to make changes to the tank and my plans for it because I no longer had the tetras.

So its totally cool to be careful and think about what you are doing with you tank. I think that is part of responsible pet ownership, just so long as it stays in perspective and doesn't eat you up inside.

I would say take it all in perspective. I am assuming you have a fish tank because you enjoy keeping fish as a hobby? Hobbies have the distinct goal of being enjoyable. If keeping fish is more stressful than relaxing, then it's being counter productive.

I agree that if you keep fish you should do what you can to provide properly for them and all. On the other hand, people are people, and at some time we all inevitably make mistakes. You gotta know that something tragic can and probably will happen to your tank at some point in time. It happens, its sad, but don't let it eat you up inside.

I killed our 6 tetras a couple months ago because of a stupid mistake. I was sad. It was the death of the last of our original fish. But later that same day I was looking at the opportunity I had to make changes to the tank and my plans for it because I no longer had the tetras.

So its totally cool to be careful and think about what you are doing with you tank. I think that is part of responsible pet ownership, just so long as it stays in perspective and doesn't eat you up inside.

I really needed to hear that today. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom