Odd White Fuzz: Is it Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNarnian

Aquarium Advice Freak
ForumRunner_20120419_080903.jpg

Hopefully the picture shows up.
This is a Betta bowl belonging to one of my friends. She sent me the picture today, because she doesn't know what the white fuzz is on her decorations.

It is on her desk in a brightly lit reception area, and she keeps it lit at night with an LED light. I know that she should turn the light off at night to help the fish, but she wants to know about this fuzz.

She says that is it white, and "fluffy"

I asked her, and she changes the water bi-weekly. Is this white hair algae?

Almost looks like what happens when uneaten food is left in the tank too long. Ask her if she is overfeeding by any chance. I don't think it is algae from the looks of it.

She's feeding once a day in the mornings and only three or four betta pellets or so. So it couldn't be food waste...

It looks more like a fungus than algae. It may be caused by excess food or depleted oxygen levels. Probably a combo of both.
Your friend should do more frequent pwc's if the bowl doesn't have any filtration. Every other week pwc is not good for her betta. Every other day would be alot better and I'd bet that white fuzzy stuff would go away ;)

Remember, biweekly can mean both twice a week or every two weeks.

"
bi·week·ly/bīˈwēklē/

Adjective:Appearing or taking place every two weeks or twice a week: "a biweekly bulletin"; "undergo health checks biweekly"."

Source: The Google.

Back
Top Bottom