Oh No, I spent too much on new fish...again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddnbecka

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's my all wife's fault, she encouraged me, as if I needed any :D We went on a couple-hour drive to the Pittsburgh zoo, and stopped at AllOddballAquatics on the way back. 8) I was just going to get some more dwarf Praecox rainbows, since 3 of the original 6 were killed by a rogue red-tail botia :cry: The offensive killer was returned to the lfs weeks ago, but the rainbows they had in stock were very young, while mine are adults. 6 neon dwarf rainbows, $30. :arrow:
So, we looked around the shop, she fell in love with the "cute" multi's, especially when I explained that they are the smallest cichlid in the world, and wouldn't get any larger. So, 1m/3f, $32. :arrow:
I have been wanting some comp's, but $25 for a 2-inch firefin was just TOO much, so I passed on that one. 8O Likewise the Lamprologous tetracanthus, much more reasonable price, but too aggressive to mix with Paracyp's. There were some used 40 gallon breeder tanks for $40 each, but the cost of setting up another tank... :roll: not this month.
I was ready to cut my losses and run, but there were 4 Synodontis petricola, more "cute little guys", that would go so well with the other 9 I already had. I thought 3 would make an even dozen, even though they were only half the size of the bigger ones at home. But I didn't have the heart to leave the 4th one all alone :wink: so $48 more, and I finally made it out the door. :oops:
Besides, 3 bags were all that would fit in the styro box for the trip home. So, 14 fish, $118, and I still don't have any comp's. :x
Somebody Stop Me :p

Your story is a sad one. Out of control fish shopping is one of the more serious afflictions of this hobby (the other of course is MTS).

Check your local yellow pages for the nearest chapter of "Fish Shopper's Anonymous". They can provide the much needed help you so desperately seek.

In the meantime, congrats on your new additions.

Did you get any shells for the Multies? They prefer to have several shell and a sandy bottom and are normally kept in a species tank but they can be kept with other Tanganyikan cichlid. They are an amazing fish. I have never had any but I have read about them and one day hope to get some. They will actually re-scape the bottom of the tank. If you have enough shells and a sandy bottom they will move the shells around and dig trenches in the sand. The female will spend a good deal of her time in the shell and will raise her fry inside the shell. The male is territorial and will patrol his harem.

Definitely an unusual and interesting fish. Here is an article I found on line about them.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/n_multifasciatus.php

Back
Top Bottom