Ok... here we go...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steele

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a rescued (left behind in move) 10 Gallon tank with two male, long finned rosy barbs and some kind of loach, who is shy. Or at least, from my internet research, that's what I THINK I have. When I came to the rescue (Da da da daaaa!) of this aquarium the water was very gross and very low. The Filter (TopFin-20) was on and running although it could not reach the water- who knows for how long. When cleaning it out I discovered it had a half set up under gravel filter. I say half set up because it had the grate thingies but the holes where the filter part goes through were duct taped closed.... :roll: I dunno. Obviously a hand-me-down aquarium for little kids. Anyway, I scrubbed the tank and filter which i don't think had ever been cleaned (bleck!) and redocorated it (Not a fan of Spongebob figurines and blue gravel). I threw out the UGF pieces. The fish are a lot happier and way more colorful now and I'm wanting to add more. Sooo, let's hear it........ :n00b:

Kudos to you for rescuing the tank. Next comes the fun part, learning how to keep a healthy happy tank.Good thing you got rid of the UGF, they are nitrate factories.

Good job on the rescuing and cleaning. Unfortunately, the rosy barbs and the loach will get to big for that tank. Plus, they prefer to be in bigger groups.
A betta would be very happy in the tank.

Very glad to hear you say it's a good thing not to have UGF! I was reading up on both trying to decide if i should salvage the pieces and make into a good working UGF or just go with the TopFin. Basically what I learned from my readings was it depends on the person :? So, again I'm glad to hear a a good reason why I shouldn't have the UGF, Thanks!

Well, you can have others but the fish you have now really need a bigger tank. If you cannot get a larger tank for those fish, I suggest trying to give them to a LFS or someone with a big enough tank. Also, try to find out what kind of loach it is.
Check out this site: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=830
It gives recommendations for tank size for fish. Some fish being: Platies, guppies, bettas (only 1 male though), a dwarf gourami, zebra danios, neon or cardinal tetras, small cories, and african dwarf frogs could go in a tank of that size. Danios, tetras, barbs, and other schooling fish prefer to be in schools of 5 or more. Cories need to be in groups also, 4 or more should be fine. Just don't overstock the tank, 1" of adult size fish per gallon is a good general guideline. See which fish you seem to like most and post them here.
Do you have a gravel cleaner, something like this?: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19131;category_id=2001
20-40% water changes a week are highly recommended.

Hey there! Thanks for the great info! I saw some of those gravel cleaners at the pet store the other day when i was getting some things and was wondering if i should get one. Looks like the answer is Yes! I'm going to check out the link you gave me about all the different fish. I'm thinking now that I have a 1 female and 1 male rosy barb instead of 2 males. One of them is not as colorful and doesn't have as much red. Is there a chance of babies? Thanks again! :D

Ok, it's not a loach, it's a chinese algae eater. Both the barbs have the black dot at the rear, do females? I just recently found a kitten in an engine of a car at my work and have now hospitalized him in my guest bathroom, so I've been spending time on the Feline Advice site. When i was at petsmart yesterday i looked at their rosy barbs and noticed that none of them had black tipped fins like the one i have that i'm thinkin is the male. There were quite a few like my other one that is mostly one color. You could say it's golden, but not red golden, more yellowish. I'll take some pics.

sorry i dont know a thing about barbs, but with my tank i seem to enjoy my zebra danios the most, they are the most playful and fun to watch, my rummy nose and pristellas are in small groups and i think thats why they are so shy with there only being three of each, and that chinese algae eater will befenitly need a new home, he will get big and aggressive, i would say one group of tetras say 8 to 10 or a 6 grouping of tetras and some danios, the danios are very hardy and fun and the tetras look good, im just giving the tetra and danio advice because this is what i have and i enjoy it, HTH :)

In my 10 gallon i have had a number of fish, never any losses, and all seem to grow and flourish. My only one mistake was getting a clown loach, which i didn't do enough research on. The Chinese algae eater will grow big, and agressive. If you have a LFS, see if you can trade him in. My CAE was attacking my cherry barbs. Once moved toa bigger tank, he left everythign alone. Fish i've kept in my 10 gallon:

African dwarf frogs (cute, but weird) CAE, Clown loach, Neon Tetra's (7 at once), Guppies (3 females at once, one turned out (or into?) a male and stressed out the females and killed them (only had one tank at the time)

If you want alot of fish, your also wanting a lot of work. Water changes are much more frequent, and you really do have to keep a closer eye on the tank.

Look forward to seeing pictures! WTG on rescuing those poor fish! Kudos!!! (I'm not a fan of cats (dog lover) but kudos for saving ANY living thing! :D :mrgreen: :D

Rosy barbs have a great variance in color in the males, as well as variance in the fin markings. There should be one block spot a short distance forward of the tail fin. The females are usually a drab green. Rosy barbs are very easy to sex.

My Rosy barbs are BRIGHT orange with no color to the fin tips.

Back
Top Bottom