Omg im an idiot help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason6942

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help!!!!!! I was doing a WC of about 15-25% and when I filled the water back in I realized I didn't dechlorinate the water. I immediately put some dechlorinater in the tank but now I'm scared I killed my cycle I just got done with. More important I'm worried about my guppies!!!! Should I be ok or did I go back to the stone age

I need help!!!!!! I was doing a WC of about 15-25% and when I filled the water back in I realized I didn't dechlorinate the water. I immediately put some dechlorinater in the tank but now I'm scared I killed my cycle I just got done with. More important I'm worried about my guppies!!!! Should I be ok or did I go back to the stone age

How soon after you refilled the tank did you notice? Was the filter off?

I was about 80% done filling when I realized it and my filter was off but I poured like 2 or 3 cups in the top of the filter. My tank is only a ten gallon

I was about 80% done filling when I realized it and my filter was off but I poured like 2 or 3 cups in the top of the filter. My tank is only a ten gallon

If water that wasn't dechorinated didn't reach the filter, your cycle is probably ok, but it's possible that you may have a mini cycle if so. If water that wasn't dechorinated DID reach the filter, you may have to re-cycle the tank. Regardless of any of that, it's possible the water hurt your fish, but I doubt it. Just keep an eye on your fish and ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels.

It's fine. Anti microbials have what is called a "mic dose" which is the concentration it has to be to kill microbes. a 15% water change on a tank isn't going to bring the chlorine concentration up enough to kill bacteria. Also, the dechlorinator works instantly.

Just to put things into perspective, I use a water changer to change out 50% of my 55g tank's water. The water is siphoned out, dechlorinator added, and then the water is replaced directly from the faucet. I don't imagine that all of the chlorine will be removed when it's pumped into the tank before getting a chance to circulate but that's the way hundreds of thousands of people do it without any issues at all.

It's fine. Anti microbials have what is called a "mic dose" which is the concentration it has to be to kill microbes. a 15% water change on a tank isn't going to bring the chlorine concentration up enough to kill bacteria. Also, the dechlorinator works instantly.

Just to put things into perspective, I use a water changer to change out 50% of my 55g tank's water. The water is siphoned out, dechlorinator added, and then the water is replaced directly from the faucet. I don't imagine that all of the chlorine will be removed when it's pumped into the tank before getting a chance to circulate but that's the way hundreds of thousands of people do it without any issues at all.

+1 on that I do my water changes that way never had any issues

^^ I do the same thing

Siphon out water , add declorinator to some water and pour into tank , refill from faucet slowly. Never had any issues.

And even though I do a 50% water change I add Prime for the full 72g not just the water I am replacing I had never any issues with that

UPDATE:

I just tested my water and after 24hrs my ammonia is .25 and nitrites are .25 so I'm thinking I got a mini cycle going on. Thanks everyone for your advice and comments :)

Back
Top Bottom