OMG - I'm in LFS heaven!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LydiaGreen

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I was in the city (Thunder Bay), their SuperPet was out of live food for my geckos so, I had to call around to all of the LFS' there hoping to find someone who carried lizards as well as fish. I had stopped at a couple of smaller LFS' the previous day and hadn't been impressed by any of them so, I wasn't keeping much hope. Well, I found one place that had live food and we stopped there on our way out of the city.

My "quick stop" turned into a couple of hours! The store is called Tropical Fish and Pet Supply... it's on Red River Rd. for any of you that get into Thunder Bay (Ontario, Canada) and it is much larger than most of the LFS' we get up here. There is one floor for your run-of-the-mill cat and dog and rodent stuff and then there is one entire floor of FISH!!!!!!

The tanks were all homemade by the owner... large enough for the fish that were in it, CLEAN, not a dead fish in site, and there was NO smell. You can tell if an LFS actually CLEANS tanks on a regular basis if there is no ammonia smell.

I knew I was in a "good" LFS when I walked in and saw the first display tank. Right away, I was telling my mother, "An arowana!" and the girl working came over and said, "He's for display only, we don't sell fish like this to customers because they get far too large for a home aquarium." WHAT :!: :?: :!: An LFS that actually cares where their fish end up :!: :?: :!: They had the arowana in a 200 gallon tank by itself - it was only about a foot long but SO beautiful.

They had 55 gallon tanks with hoods, a large aquaclear filter, and a bunch of other accessories for only $260 (that's Canadian folks) and I can tell you that is a GREAT deal up here. I restrained myself but, I could FEEL the credit card itching in my wallet. I really need tanks much larger than 55 gallons at this point. They had frozen foods that I had only DREAMED of (all I can get in my town is bloodworms and I had to request that before they started carrying it) so I stocked up!

I asked about bichirs (my dream species) and not only do they get them in... she QUIZZED me about tank sizes, grow-out tanks (it's recommended you keep them in smaller tanks and upgrade size as they grow, otherwise they have trouble finding food), feeding, and FILTRATION!!! She actually asked me about FILTRATION :!: :!: :!:

When I asked about purchasing larger tanks... she recommended that I go with the custom tank I had a quote on from one of my local autoglass businesses to SAVE MONEY!!!!!

They had freshwater rays, ropefish, and a ton of other species that I have never seen before (except on the internet). There were a couple of saltwater tanks as well, but she also helped me talk my mother out of getting a SW set-up because of the HUGE expense. (And she thought I spent a lot on my FW tanks :roll: )

Yes, I can tell you I definitely have a new favourite store. Clean, well-stocked, and KNOWLEDGEABLE staff that actually care about the fish. I am SO impressed.

This one is 12" and BEAUTIFUL. They have plans to provide him with a much larger tank than he needs as he grows... not many shops will do that. An arrowana in a 30 gallon? That's cruel.

if only there was a astore like that here lol... I cringe every time i go to the LFS here and see blackgoust knife fish and arrowanas knowing they sell them to just anybody, ie me I had a BGK but gave it away when i discovered their true size.

Sounds fantastic! Ask them if they will open a branch in Regina, LOL. I agree that the pricing you quoted is fantastic pricing for Canada and it is very impressive that an lfs would make inquiries to the size of your tanks and filtration.

That sounds like a good store ... Kinda reminds me of a few stores here in Calgary. The main one that comes to mind is Gold Aquariums

If I ever get back out to Alberta, I will remember that - Gold Aquariums in Calgary. I really wanted to drive out there again... I keep hearing that's where the LFS' here in Ontario and Manitoba get their bichirs from.

Whoa, big Canada contingent here.

I hear ya though, it really sucks when you see stores fully stocked, over and over, with Arowanas, Pacus, Oscars, Knifes, etc., and know that they are selling them to any kid with a 10 gallon that thinks they look cool.

Ahem, I was one of those kids...when I was 12 or so I gave a GBK to a friend for his birthday. It probably lasted about a week. When I was a kid I had a 10 gal hex with lots of cichlids in it. You know what happened. I blame my mom. :)

pwrflpills said:
ringfinger said:
My LFS has an arowana...in a 30 gallon long. :(

Sounds like an amazing place!

How big arowanna? My LFS has them in 5 gal sections of a larger tank, but they're babies.

Sadly this one is over a foot long, and at $100 he will be there for a while. They have had him for a few months now...

I heart my bichirs, the petsmart near me will randomly get them in thats how i got mine. The LFS had them once, but the were kept with smaller fish and the lady was complaining about them eatting the fish... I don't think they will stock them again.

Back
Top Bottom