One gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a little one gallon desk top tank I'm going to set p and get running. Do I need a filter or heater? I really want something other than a beta maybe a tiny guppie or two. As far as setting it p and getting it running can I take some gravel and water from my 20 gallon into the 1 gallon to get the cycle p and running?

I would get some organic dirt, top it with gravel, then put a bunch of plants in it. Add a 5 watt heater, and put a couple snails and a few red cherry shrimp. Look up planted shrimp bowls on Google.

I have a little one gallon desk top tank I'm going to set p and get running. Do I need a filter or heater? I really want something other than a beta maybe a tiny guppie or two. As far as setting it p and getting it running can I take some gravel and water from my 20 gallon into the 1 gallon to get the cycle p and running?

One gallon you could do like 5 or 6 Ghost shrimp snails need air and they come out of the water for air so he might escape if there is no lid. Your kind of limited in one gallon tank. I would recommend shrimp.

I agree as previously stated. A one gallon is too small for anything other than a few shrimp and plants. I wouldn't even put shrimp in a small container myself.

The only thing I use my 1gal table top aquarium is for drip acclimating new shrimp .. just not a whole lot of options with one in the long run.

I agree with the others that a 1G is too small for any fish. Shrimp and / or snails would be your only real option I'm afraid. That said, shrimp can be a lot of fun to watch!

On the topic of using your 20G to speed the cycle for the one gallon. That is a great idea! Don't move water though. The beneficial bacteria will be present on your decor and predominantly in your filter media.

I agree with HN1 and the others.
Also, this may not be what you want, but it is just an idea. You can raise daphnia or brine shrimp. In my opinion, they are really cute and fun to watch. I actually like keeping a bowl of them around, cuz I can watch them and then feed them to my fish once the population gets big.
I get that daphnia are not everybody's thing though. You can do a few shrimp as long as they are small ones. Personally, I would not have an issue putting a few red cherry shrimp in there. I am also a fan of ramshorn snails. They are cute, and snail around a lot.
As for a filter, yes, some sort of filter is preferred. You can rig up a small sponge filter. A heater is only necessary depending on the room temp, and the species you are wanting to keep.

Thanks for the info . some good ideas there. What If I wanted to turn this into a planted tank only, would I just need a heater? What are some good low maintenance plants for starters?

Back
Top Bottom