Opinions/Advice for my 55 Gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got a 55 gallon tank. I plan to set it up in the spring. It will be a peaceful community tank. Live planted. Gravel will most liekly be pea sized smooth river pebble.

Definitely Getting:
2 Angels
6-8 Emperor Tetras
6 Corys (What variety would be best?)

Considering and need opinions or thoughts on: (open to other recs for these 2 schools mostly looking for pretty color and/or interesting pattern)
Danios
Threadfin Rainbows
Furcata Rainbows
Madagascan Rainbows
Penguin Tetras
Halequin Rasboras
Cardinal Tetras
Black Ruby Barbs
(Will only be picking 2 of these schools. They will be about 6-8 fish for each school. I am trying to decide which 2 schools out of these fish to get I have never kept any of them so thoughts would be great)

Extras:
Mystery Snails (How many? thinking two or three?)
Overflow from my RCS tank will occasionally be put in.

Any thoughts or opinions would be great! I have never had such a big tank to play with so I wnat to make sure I do it right. As I mentioned I am open to any opinions on different kinds of fish.

The angels will eat the cardinal tetras when they (the angels) get big enough. And mystery snails have a tendency to eat live plants and over populate the tank. Have you considered praecox rainbows? They stay smaller (for rainbows) and a school looks very nice in a large planted tank.

In my experience mystery snails do not eat live plants and since they lay eggs above the water level you can easily remove the eggs and discard (or sell). I would consider a bristlenose pleco also. As for the schools, i dont have any of those listed so i cant help.

In my experience mystery snails do not eat live plants and since they lay eggs above the water level you can easily remove the eggs and discard (or sell). I would consider a bristlenose pleco also. As for the schools, i dont have any of those listed so i cant help.

Maybe my mystery snails were a little more mysterious lol because they did terrible things to my plants the last time I had them.

The angels will eat the cardinal tetras when they (the angels) get big enough. And mystery snails have a tendency to eat live plants and over populate the tank. Have you considered praecox rainbows? They stay smaller (for rainbows) and a school looks very nice in a large planted tank.

From my reading Mystery snails only eat your plants fi you don't keep them fed and are easy to keep population under control because of the way they lay their eggs.

Also I don't really love the shape of praecox rainbows.

Will a Bristlenose pleco work in the tank without over stocking it with my other plans? I kinda wanted one but I wasnt sure if it would fit.

Also do you have any recs of school you do have that will add color or nice pattern? Thats kinda what I am looking for out of the tank lol.

Bristlenose only gets about 5 inches so it may work. Try plugging everything into aqadvisor.com and see what they say

Blue-eye and Furcata are the same fish. Pseudomongil Furcata. I love the rainbowfish.

Blue-eye and Furcata are the same fish. Pseudomongil Furcata. I love the rainbowfish.

Oh good to know! Wehn I gogoled they came up looking different one had kind of a spotted pattern wtih small black dots. So I assumed they were different.

Do you think they would be okay with the angels?

I wish I knew more about keeping Angels. But from my experience with Rainbows, most prefer a higher general PH than Angels. However, a lot if fish can acclimate to a different PH if it remains steady. The thread fun Rainbows like a lower PH, but with their flowing fins, an Angel may be aggressive.

Hopefully someone with a lot more experience will chime in.

Good Luck. I too am in the early stages of planning a new tank, and these threads are great at helping me narrow down what I want!!

Back
Top Bottom