Ordering fish online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
It has been FOREVER since I have posted here. Two years ago, all of my fish died off from an ich epidemic and I have yet to regain the energy to restart my now-empty aquarium.

Anyways, my point: I am moving into a new place May and I was seriously considering giving it another shot. There, however, is a pretty big issue. The town I am moving has not local fish store or anything within a 90 minute drive (apparently, I am moving to BFE). So my question is: are the various online retailers of aquarium fish reputable or even plausible for consistent survival of shipped fish?

Well, for fish and live plants, HN1 and severum mama own their own store, and they ship. Another online store is liveaquaria.com, but they can be pretty pricey.

Liveaquaria is good. So is petsolutions.com. I think they have the cheapest shipping for live fish. They ship all freshwater fish for $20 overnight.

I have to second the HN1/severum mama suggestion. Not to mention, they're at least in the same state as you, so shipping should be relatively fast.

I haven't lost fish when I use aquarium salt in my tanks, one tablespoon for every 5 gallons. That might help reduce the likelihood of loss. I find a drip acclimation system helps reduce stress of introduction too.

In addition, I avoid using a net to move fish into the new tank. I slowly dilute the water they come in, pour some off, and keep diluting it with tank water. I do that several times. When I don't use a net, add salt, and drip acclimate, the fish are active and don't hide. If I use a net to move them at any time, if I don't add salt, or if I don't drip acclimate, I get fish that hide and are more likely to die.

Back
Top Bottom