Outdoor rocks in an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmo004

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have some cool rocks that I want to put in my fish tank. I've heard that if you boil the rocks they can explode! So is there any other way to clean the rocks? I also know about how you can check the rock with vinegar.

Exploding rocks is a very rare, but possible occurrence. One way to prevent this is to put the rock in the water before it gets hot and then after its boiled let it cool down naturally. I would use a lid just in case, but its not normally an issue.

If you were realy worried about it, you could try soaking it in a bleach solution for a couple days and then soak the rock in am overdosed dechlorinator solution for a day to get all of the bleach out of the rock.

Other people just use hot water and a good scrubbing.

just make sure none of the rocks look like limestone it can highly alter your pH

That's one of the main reasons to do a vinegar test on the rocks before you put them in your tank. Limestone will bubble when put in vinegar.

Rocks for Your Tank

I have some cool rocks that I want to put in my fish tank. I've heard that if you boil the rocks they can explode! So is there any other way to clean the rocks? I also know about how you can check the rock with vinegar.

Hello jmo...

I use regular vinegar to test rocks. A few drops on the piece and if there's a reaction, don't put it into the tank. As far a cleaning, I rinse it well with the pressure nozzle attached to the garden hose, then leave it out in the sun for a few hours. Any bacteria would be killed with the combination of heat and sunlight. Then into the tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom