Overcrowding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 12 platy of varying sizes due to new generations in a 17 gallon tank. Are there too many for this size tank? If so what is the optimum number?
I’m struggling to keep the tank clean but unsure if it’s the lighting

I would say thats heavily stocked and would benefit from a couple of weekly water changes. Probably 10 platys would be a better number of fish for your size of tank.

I thought that might be the case. I do a water change once a week but I’ll follow your advice and take some to the garden centre where they’re originally from. They’re great at taking fish off me when the tank starts to get overcrowded

What is overcrowding depends on a few things......
How big the fish are, how much waste any given fish makes, and your water change routine.

Also, if the tank is planted enough with fast growing plants to keep Nitrates down to a good level.
Keep in mind that plants need nitrates to grow and be healthy.:)

Thanks for the advice. I’m not sure what I get right or wrong but try to keep live plants although not all have been successful I change some water each week

Attachments

• 2A4A2E11-E170-46F8-BE9A-430D5BC003B6.jpg
    2A4A2E11-E170-46F8-BE9A-430D5BC003B6.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 29
Nice Haliquin Rasboras. i have some also.
Nice tank so far. :)

I would suggest that you get some common "Hornwort" and plant then on the right side, by the filter

Hornwort will grow either floating or planted.... even thought it does not put down roots.
It's also a great plant to help keep Nitrates down a bit...and adding some where I indicated will balance things out aesthetically. :)

Here is my tank.....

Attachments

• 00_MY_tkx.jpg
    00_MY_tkx.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 33
That is the kind of thing I’m looking to achieve so thanks. I will make sure I get some

Back
Top Bottom