Overhead cover for black moors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if black moors preferred some type of shelter or what not in an aquarium. Mine seem to become somewhat nervous and don't move much when the lights are on. But when the lights go off they seem to do much better. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

Are they new? Many new additions will take a few days to settle in and become comfortable in their new surroundings. I don't usually keep anything floating for fancy goldfish (unless the plants just overgrow).

No, they've been in the tank for at least a month, one having been in there for almost 3 now. The old bulb burnt out so it was replaced with a fluorescent bulb which is brighter, but they were doing that before a's well with the incandescent bulb. The water parameters show Am 0-.25 nitrites 0 and nitrates somewhere between 5-20 (the oranges look so similar on API's kit).

Hey there!

In my experience, moors are pretty insensitive to light changes (had some bad experiences with changing bulbs...ugh...so much money lost to ignorance). However, yours could be different! Try getting some sort of leaved plant, I mean rather than spiky(I have a plastic geranium that my little fish hides under) and maybe that would help.

And yes..haha, I always make a wild guess on the nitrate test because they all look the same.

Ya, the research I was doing gave me no clues, specifically regarding a black moor, and their sensitivity to lights, etc. The only thing anybody ever mentioned were their colors changing in regards to the amount of light they receive. I'll give the broad leaf plant...well fake plant...a shot, hopefully whatevers bothering them passes, I put up an old tank background on the back and sides to help with possible stress from too much going on next to them, hopefully something ends up working.

Moors have rather poor eye-sight, so they are not too particular as far as light & decor goes. In ponds under bright sun-light, the fish do like to congregate in the shade, possibly to stay out of the way of predators. I never notice that in my tank, but then mine is planted, so there is lots of natural shade & hiding places. <Plus it is not nearly as bright as sunlight.> All my goldies (moors included) stay out in the open all day, only going under the plants at night when sleeping.

If you have a fairly bare tank, having some plants (fake will do just fine) or hiding places might make the fish feel more comfortable. I did notice that my goldies hide a lot more in the bare QT, even tho it is much dimmer than the main tank.

I don't think moors or any other telescope eye goldfish have reduced or poor vision, a slightly reduced field of vision maybe, but not poor eyesight.

Back
Top Bottom