Pacus compatibilty.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rubysoho said:
don't get a pacu, they get huge... unless this is a 200 gallon tank....

...and I would say at least three times that....600+ gallons is where you will need to be with an adult red pacu.

that website says 24 inches, I've seen others that say a bit longer.

Rubysoho is correct...and even a bit on the small side....the lasrgest specimens of this fish on record are 34" long, but 24"-30" is more typical...and about 40lbs....and capable of removing your fingers when it is about 2/3 grown. You may want to consider another fish....like silver dollars....or severums.

From June 14, 2004

Surgery after pacu bites toddler

An 18-month old girl has had surgey on her finger after it was bitten by a pacu - a type of herbivorous piranha.

According to The Scotsman, the girl was bitten at the Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World at Dobbies Garden World last week, and the fish was still attached to her finger when she pulled it out of the water.

The girl was taken to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children where she had plastic surgery to repair the finger.

yeah pacus get huuuuuuuuuge, some say up to 3 feet...and they have teeth....so if he gets bigger(which he will) he will gobble up all your other fish and mabye one of your fingers :eek2:

I'm in situation now with my Pacu. When I first researched this fish I was under the impression he'd get about 2 feet long. This is not true Pacu's can get up to 3 feet long. Right now he's over a foot long. I'm keeping him in a 230 gallon but unforunately this will not work for long. I don't think anyone should get these fish unless they have a minimum of 400 gallons. Im going to talk with the LFS around to see if I can find him a good home. I hate see him go he was about 1 inch long when I got him. They grow so quick it will actually shock you.

Back
Top Bottom