Pale neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM1101

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just flipped on the lights and noticed 2 of my 5 neon tetras are all of the sudden pale and kind of twitchy in their movement. All was well 10 hours ago. My wife fed them about twice as much as I normally do last night but I was just gonna skip their morning feeding and didn't think that would make much difference. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20170828_074209.jpg
    20170828_074209.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 143
Sometimes a fishes color fades out if the lights are suddenly turned on. Especially if the tank was completely blacked out. Erratic swimming behavior often results. Once things settle down the neons color should return to normal. If you think that the water might be screwed up due to an over feeding, I would just do a quick 25%WC and vac the gravel thoroughly. If your neons are still eating, no worries.

I think they may have been getting picked on by a zebra danio that killed 4 other zebra danio and was attacking other fish today.

That might very well be the problem. I don't know how big your tank is but there are several types of small schooling fish that can be substituted for your zebra fish or small fish just as colorful but much more durable than your neon tetras. Dwarf neon rainbow fish and Columbian tetras are both colored blue and red and IMO are better looking fish and a lot tougher than neon tetras. They could easily handle your zebras. Just a suggestion. You will find a balance that works for you. Good luck.

That might very well be the problem. I don't know how big your tank is but there are several types of small schooling fish that can be substituted for your zebra fish or small fish just as colorful but much more durable than your neon tetras. Dwarf neon rainbow fish and Columbian tetras are both colored blue and red and IMO are better looking fish and a lot tougher than neon tetras. They could easily handle your zebras. Just a suggestion. You will find a balance that works for you. Good luck.
That danio killed the other 4 danio. I removed it from the tank and isolated him in his own gallon tank for now until I figure out what to do with him. All the other fish seem to be doing fine now tetras included.

Back
Top Bottom