Particles in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAnders

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The water in my cichlid tank looks like it has little particles floating around. It's a 55 gallon and I'm running a Penguin 200 and Aquaclear 110. I have an extra filter in the Penguin and crushed coral and purigen in Aquaclear (this is in addition to their "stock" payload).

It's overstocked per the advice of my LGS (not a big box store and tank has 16 small fish all <3"). Tank has been running 2 months and I have a Satellite + light. Substrate is sand.

Water parameters are all good, I am cautious what I feed and the amount (NLS cichlid formula and spirulna), and have frequent water changes. I'll usually skip a feeding day.

Is this micro bubbles, algae bloom, or other!?

Thoughts? Advice?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424283051.219946.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Probably some crushed corals you added ?

Seems to be kind of non nuisible particles... I would wait it clear up... For How long you have this problem ?

Probably some crushed corals you added ?

Seems to be kind of non nuisible particles... I would wait it clear up... For How long you have this problem ?

It's been pretty much since day one. I washed the coral, and washed again. Think that could be the issue?

If the dead corals are in front of the filtration pad (assuming water come from the back of the pad), that might be that... Usually in my tank when I do mess, the water become dirty, because of my "dirt" substrate for plants, also water is brown...

But In two days water become crystal clear, and no more particles in the aquarium...

===========================================

AH THINK I GOT IT FOR YOU! You placed Purigen (I assume this is Seachem Purigen) in the aquaclear's carbon or bio ceramic media dedicated box. Purigen didn't came with a bad and you bought a custom one. The aquaclear is kind of like a Fluval C series filter wich I know well.

So I assume you placed the purigen after the pad filtration. (This is the way that filter works). That may be particles of purigen you see in water. Crushed corals is too heavy to be the culprit.

I found that on another forum website:
"Bought the Purigen and a mesh bag.
Put in the canister all these purigen particles are going into the water. The bag is allowing the particles to go through it. Even just holding the wet bag in my hand leaves particles behind. They gave me the only bag they have
Is this normal? "
http://www.3reef.com/threads/seachem-purigen-particles-in-water.152676/

Yes, it is Seachem Purigen, it came in their own pre-packed bag so I'm not using "the Bag". I rinsed it quite well and one of the bags has been recharged. Think it could still be releasing particles in the water?

You did give me an idea though! I am going to put a piece of filter media over the coral and see if that helps!

Back
Top Bottom