Patent pending!!! Ideas for neat aquarium products.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Post if ya got 'em!

Earlier I mentioned that I thought a tiny freezer to fit in a tank stand would be a usefull doo-dad... I just thought up another.

If this exists, let me know where I can find it:

An aquarium light dimmer that can be automatically timed to gradually fade in and out at sunrise and sunset. Like a 30-min. gradual dimming, or brightening would be a cool little thing to have. Then you wouldn't have to worry about leaving the lights on to long or short. It would give a more natural lighting schedule. What do you think?

I think the way florescent lights work is that they are either 100% on or 100% off. Dimmers would only work on incandesent lights. But its a cool idea.

What about a canister filter media that kills ich, or other diseases? You have an infected tank you just drop it in and it wipes out the paracite in the water. Thanks my patented idea :D

heh ... or a self contained filter that never needs to be cleaned ... hooks into your water supply, and never needs cleaning of the filter media or anything .... automatically tops your tank off etc.....

I would love it if there was a filter that you could hook a hose up to and all you have to do is turn a switch and it starts unfilling the tank. Then you flip it the other way and it fills up with the correct temp water. All you do is add dechlor and it's all done. Of course, it wouldn't solve the gravel vac issue, but it's at least a start.

fake plants that do the same thing as live plants. that is maybe attach some fake plants to like an ammonia remover ball, nitrate remover, phosphate remover, or water clarifying thingo. or vice versa, attach ammonia, nitrate, or water clarifying things to the plant.

Genetically engineered aquarium plants that grow like weeds. There is no reason having a planted aquarium should be so difficult with all the advances in crop genetics.

My other idea is for driftwood that is somehow made to sink without boiling, adding weight, or any of the other crap we have to go through currently.

Am I really asking too much?!?

An aquarium light dimmer that can be automatically timed to gradually fade in and out at sunrise and sunset. Like a 30-min. gradual dimming, or brightening would be a cool little thing to have. Then you wouldn't have to worry about leaving the lights on to long or short. It would give a more natural lighting schedule. What do you think?
This exists in the SW set-ups. They even have programs that provide moonlight that matches the lunar cycle. But, as stated, this is for reef tanks that use metal halide lights? not flourescents.

A way you could make this work for flourescent lights would be to get a timer/dimmer and put it on an incandescent light near the tank. program the incandescent to gradually increase to full light before your tank light clicks on, then also have it gradually dim to off after your tank light clicks off. Your fish would get a gradual increase and decrease in light. the dimmer light could be off when the tank light is on, just used for the gradual on/off light.

My other idea is for driftwood that is somehow made to sink without boiling, adding weight, or any of the other crap we have to go through currently.

ie: pre-treated or BKA - Bog wood.

This is already commercially available. You can get them from your LFS. They usually are small pieces wrapped in plastic. It is still recommended that you treat them to remove particles accumulated on them during handling and tannins.

Genetically engineered aquarium plants that grow like weeds. There is no reason having a planted aquarium should be so difficult with all the advances in crop genetics.

Even genetically engineered plants require care lest they will perish. All life requires care. Basic fact. Plants growing like weeds will need to be cared for as well lest they overtake your tank and, well...a disaster in the making.

IMO, I just don't think this hobby is on the level of the "set it and forget" theme.

Fishyfanatic said:
I would love it if there was a filter that you could hook a hose up to and all you have to do is turn a switch and it starts unfilling the tank. Then you flip it the other way and it fills up with the correct temp water. All you do is add dechlor and it's all done. Of course, it wouldn't solve the gravel vac issue, but it's at least a start.

kind of like the "backwash" feature on a pool filter :)

Fishyfanatic said:

Can't you be happy enough with the Python? I still am in awe of that awesome device :D

Jchillin said:
Even genetically engineered plants require care lest they will perish. All life requires care. Basic fact. Plants growing like weeds will need to be cared for as well lest they overtake your tank and, well...a disaster in the making.

IMO, I just don't think this hobby is on the level of the "set it and forget" theme.

I just want some plants that are less fickle. For example, I have a houseplant that I water a few times a week and it looks nice and healthy. I don't add CO2, twelve different nutrients, and warm up its roots, but yet it still thrives. I just want something a little easier so everyone can have a beautiful planted tank without breaking their bank. Thats not a hoirrible dream, is it :D

BTW, this hobby is getting more set it and forget it every day. My tank could run for at least a month without a person even touching it.

Tony Starks said:
My tank could run for at least a month without a person even touching it.
Well, it could but it wouldn't be the healthiest thing for the fish.

Tony Starks wrote:

a lot of people would argue that taking fish out of the wild and putting them in a glass box isnt healthy

Tony Starks said:
this hobby is getting more set it and forget it every day.

If it becomes "set it and forget it", wouldn't it cease to be a "hobby"?

No, its like building a model, except you get to pick all the parts and the finished product is more of a reflection on yourself. I am really into to the set-up and the fish selection, not in making close emotional ties with my fish. Thats what my cat is for :D

Felf said:
Tony Starks wrote:

a lot of people would argue that taking fish out of the wild and putting them in a glass box isnt healthy

True, but keeping them with clean fresh water instead of the same water still helps. We just have to try our best to mimic their habitat in the wild.

Fishyfanatic said:

http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/water-changer.html

D.I.Y automatic water changer :)
While the system automatically siphons the water from a tube, you can gravel vac with the cylinder on the other end.

Back
Top Bottom