peacock gudgeons and tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelLover

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have five juveniles and one somewhat large angel in my 55gal tank, along with cories, a male betta, one golden dojo, one zebra loach, and two dwarf gouramis. I am planning on rehoming most of the juvie angels once they get bigger/pair off.

I have been waiting for the gudgeons to come into my lfs for several months but am now worried my angels (primarily the big one) might see them as food.... He has eaten several of my small glowlight tetras already. I have four tetras left that are about 1inch in length.

My lfs told me the gudgeons average at about 3inches, is that accurate? Also, should I buy a school of them or are they OK in small numbers? I am already pushing max capacity and need to know if I need to do some adjusting to my stock if/when they ever come in. I came across their profile online and had to have them!

My tank right now.... ForumRunner_20121215_203746.jpg

I thought they only got to a max of about 2.5 inches and females were the bigger ones (could be wrong here). And most of the ones I've seen for sale have always been small. I had to rehome 2 of my aggressive angels that would attack small fish. Seriously I'd be a little worried about the angel, who you know is aggressive, attaching them.

I thought they only got to a max of about 2.5 inches and females were the bigger ones (could be wrong here). And most of the ones I've seen for sale have always been small. I had to rehome 2 of my aggressive angels that would attack small fish. Seriously I'd be a little worried about the angel, who you know is aggressive, attaching them.

I guess my worries are real then... I read the same thing online so was confused when I was told they were avg. 3inches.

For some reason my angel is not aggressive against the remaining tetras (maybe he realized they actually don't taste good?) but I better not take any chances!

Looks like I'll be pulling out one of my tanks from storage if they ever get into my lfs. Now to convince my boyfriend :-/ lol thanks for your advice!

I have two peacock gudgeons. I don't think I'd keep them with angels. I think angels are pretty aggressive, right?

My gudgeons are about 2.5" and the male is slightly larger.

I have two peacock gudgeons. I don't think I'd keep them with angels. I think angels are pretty aggressive, right?

Just like any cichlid they can be aggressive but each angel has it's own personality and aggression level. Out of 14 angels I only had to remove 2 very aggressive males from the big tank. The other 12 are adults and all spawn and yet I keep tiny little maybe 1" Rachovii Killi's in with them. Mine just aren't fish aggressive except with each other. Now shrimp on the other hand can be fair game is one is dumb enough to go swimming or scuddling about in the open.

Thank you everyone for your replies! Well I went to my lfs today for supplies and walked out with a 7inch Adonis pleco (totally unplanned)... That being said I definitely don't think I'll have room for the gudgeons until I can save up for my next upgrade!

Good move on holding off on the peacocks, as I think that would have been a real risk putting them in with the angel. I hope you do eventually get some though. They are great little fish, and fairly easy to breed. One other thing to consider (if and when you do get some peacocks) is that they are expert jumpers; they will jump through the tiniest gap in the lid.

Tony

Good move on holding off on the peacocks, as I think that would have been a real risk putting them in with the angel. I hope you do eventually get some though. They are great little fish, and fairly easy to breed. One other thing to consider (if and when you do get some peacocks) is that they are expert jumpers; they will jump through the tiniest gap in the lid.

Tony

I agree! The angels are just so unpredictable. I won't give up on the gudgeons though I've heard nothing but good things about them. Do you think a 10gal would be enough for a pair?

Back
Top Bottom