Perplexing choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I go for it?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my co workers has 12 goldfish that were in his pond that he is looking to give away. Now before everyone says go for it there are some strange things to consider. When he takes them out of the pond, he places them in a 33 gal. Yes all 12 in a 33 gal, 2 of his goldies are 6" each the others are about 3". If I take them he will give me the tank as well for nothing, but I can't leave them in a 33gal. I don't have another larger tank, nor do I really have room for another larger tank. I know he will give them away to a LFS if I don't take them and then who knows what will happen to them. So what we are thinking of is go ahead and take them for now, he has been keeping them this way for 4 years already, eventually get another tank and split the fish up between the 2 tanks. After all we are talking about 12 fish, filters, everything incl food and tank for nothing. What do you think?

If It were me I'd take the tank & goldfish. Then I'd find new homes for the goldfish and start dreaming up an ideal 33 gallon setup. Do you think you can find homes for the goldfish???? You can't possibly keep them in the 33 gallon without having a total mess which may be why he is willing to let the entire setup go. If I thought I couldn't find homes for the goldfish then I would pass on the deal.

i would do it. too much goldfish but they are much better off with you then some lfs that probably thinks they can keep that many in there with no problem.

and plus if theyve been kept for 4 years i would keep them, imo they deserve to be kept and not just sold off.

flamingonhot said:
they deserve to be kept and not just sold off.

If they could be sold or given to someone with more adequate housing that would be the ideal. That's way too many goldfish for that tank.

I'm already looking into a bigger tank, LOL. If I move the desk out of the computer room (which has 2 tanks already) and put a smaller desk or just a table in it, I can fit a larger tank of at least 55 gal in there as well as the 33 gal. Darn that MTS!

I would say go for it. While your friend may know a good LFS to give/sell them to, you could take them all and then either sell or give some of them to people you know. You could also look at increasing the filtration on the 33 gallon tank as well. What type of filter is on there now?

He is running 2 filters on it, I honestly don't know what they are. But regardless I have acquired another cannister filter a fluval 303 that I could run on that tank if necessary, until I got another tank. (Curses MTS, more and more furniture landing up in the basement)

I have to agree with talloulou.The tank is way too small,regardless of the type of filtration.Goldfish do require at least 15 gallons per fish. Two goldfish in a 33 gallon is OK. Find a home for for the rest. I have two in a 30 gallon with live plants,do a partial water change once a week,use a cannister filter. At least the LFS will probably keep them in a larger feeder tank with adequate filtration.

I know the tank is way too small for them. I just spent a ton of time getting a family member to upgrade her tank for her 2 goldies. I want to rescue them, find them homes, or get a bigger tank. Otherwise they will either just end up being kept in there or given to the lfs.

It sounds like its time to stack tanks in your house.. :D

It sounds like he has been just overwintering his fish and knows they have gotten to big this year and wants to get rid of them since he doesnt want to upgrade his overwintering tank.. my bad for assuming this but thats what this sounds like..

used 55 gallon tanks are cheap.. and you can get stands or build a stand to run one on top of the other.. taking advantage of ome much needed space.. heck.. why dont you slide a 55 or 75 gallon under your 125 gallon tank and build a pond to place then in the spring - summer months :p

Keep the tank and equip, find a nice indoor pond for the fish (some atrium business building or some such will surely be happy to have them).

we have a local chinese buffet that has an indoor pond and no fish currently.. that didnt occur to me.. intresting suggestion Toirtius.. :D

A dilemma for sure Anne. I didn't vote because it depends on what you really want and how much time and resources you're willing to devote. I'll digress for a moment on the MTS. I'm currently running 14 tanks totalling some 700 gallons. It works for me because my wife and I share the work load, and it's something we enjoy doing together.

There's also a difference between what should be done and what can be done. You can keep these fish alive and healthy by changing enough water and keeping the filters clean. Speaking of filters, I wouldn't use a cannister with that kind of bioload. If you have to clean the filters often, it's much easier with HOBs. JMO

Thanks for that advice Brian, I have to make a decision soon. I certainly don't mind putting in the effor that is for sure and may have located a few of them good homes already either way I go. I will see what he has for filters and go from there. I probably will take them and then find a bigger tank and cycle it. I am hopeless, LOL.

Short term - buy some rubber maid bins and distribute the goldies accordingly....(assuming you have a way of filtering them, etc.)

Build the indoor pond!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

you could use one of these.. :D
I would fill it with sand and put some electric ball valve's on it for automatic back flushing.. :D
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Im so bad.. ROFL!

How on earth do you fit all those fish and two filters in a 33 gallon? I'd take the fish and tank. Then I'd look for new homes or set up one of those plastic ponds for them.

Back
Top Bottom