Pest or parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueMoonLace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As of today all of a sudden there are tiny translucent worms in my main tank. The fish aren't showing any signs of illness. The worms are very similar in appearance to pin worms and don't seems to be aquatic: they are all over the tank cover and any in the water swim for the surface. Might they be parasites, or did something harmless lay eggs in my tank by mistake?
Note: no new fish, no new plants... they just showed up.

I would remove all fish from the tank immediately as a precaution. If you have a big tub, put them in there with the heater and filter until you can get a grip on what's going on. Don't forget to take out the plants and ornaments and as you take them out inspect them for eggs or worms.

Rinse the filter and media in tank water and ensure no worms are in there also.

I would then drain 80% the water from the tank and remove the worms. Then refill accordingly and put fish back in with plants and ornaments.

Closely monitor the tank and if they return there is a further problem.

My first thought was planaria too but the o.p. said the worms were wiggling towards the surface. Odd to say the least, mosquito larvae maybe?

My first thought was planaria too but the o.p. said the worms were wiggling towards the surface. Odd to say the least, mosquito larvae maybe?
That is very distinct possibility. Especially if they are in a warm climate!!

I have a picture but It won't post... It really does look an awful lot like a pin worm though. The wiggle motion is too straight for mosquito larvae, plus the fish would eat those. These worms are super straight and thin and white.

Photo-0138.jpg
I figured out how to post an image! small victory!
That's my index finger to provide a little perspective, the worm is the streak below it.

Alright I think it might be a simple case of detritus worms, which are unsightly but harmless I hear. I shall feed a little less and clean more. crisis averted! Out of curiosity, does anyone know where these worms come from? overfeeding sure... but does that mean they come in the food?
Also, Merry Fishmas to all!

Back
Top Bottom