Ph crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harryhorse

Aquarium Advice Activist
What would make my ph low.tap is 7 an in my tank it drops to 6 Ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0 the fish seem fine,my other tanks ph 7.2

Do you have anything in thaat tank that would lower your ph, such as certain types of rocks?

Did you let your tap water gas out for 24 hours before testing it? Put some in a cup or bucket, with an airstone in it if you have a spare air pump, and let it sit for 24 hours to let the buffers added by the water plant to evaporate out. Then you will find the actual pH as it will be in your aquarium. If it is still higher than the pH of your tank, something in your tank is causing the drop. Also if the pH is naturally low, something in your other tank is buffering the pH up. Isn't science fun?

Thanks all there is no wood in tank.I will do the water in the bucket for 24 and c how I go.u would think I would have it down pat now with 7 tanks in the house lol

Is there anything in your other tanks that isn't in this one? A certain type of rock, substrate, or decoration?

Alyxx said:
Is there anything in your other tanks that isn't in this one? A certain type of rock, substrate, or decoration?

I have drift wood in to off them and sandstone in one but the other 3 just ornaments.all the same substrate

I think I read that the nitrifying bacteria that eat nitrates (or trites?) produce acid which is why pH crashes during fishless cycling in some tanks. So, if your water starts out neutral, if you have a certain amount of stock, it may be too much acid produced and it overcomes what few buffers your water has. So maybe adding limestone rock or crushed coral may help prevent it.

Hholly said:
I think I read that the nitrifying bacteria that eat nitrates (or trites?) produce acid which is why pH crashes during fishless cycling in some tanks. So, if your water starts out neutral, if you have a certain amount of stock, it may be too much acid produced and it overcomes what few buffers your water has. So maybe adding limestone rock or crushed coral may help prevent it.

Cool thx will give it a go

Back
Top Bottom