PH Fluctuation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twubs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started and cycled a 15 gallon long tank for my two year olds 6 weeks ago. The tank is home to 5 small dainos, 4 mickey platies, a speckled cory and an alto. I also have an assortment of live plants that are doing very well. The tank was originally designed to be a home for a betta we were given and try to make that as a centerpiece of the community tank. The betta and friends did well for just over a week when everyone started nipping one another. Out he went, back to the store I went and now he has a 2.5g tank to call home. I complete 20-25% water changes every two weeks and rinse the filter pad between those cycles. I have lost some fish along the way. 3 Rasbarrios after being in the tank for about 48-72 hours. Took them back and had my water tested to find out the PH was 8.2. All other values looked good, pneumonia 0 nitrate 0 and nitrite 0. My next water change I used 1 gallon of distilled water with 3 gallons of tap with dechloranator. Most recent water change I did not use the distilled water and now my tank is up to 8.2 ph, PNN still at 0. My mistake led to the loss of a newly acquired dwarf gaurami. I am hoping to get and stabilize the ph at a more neutral level to introduce one more fish.

I will be testing my tap water out of the faucet tonight to get the PH. Is there anything else I can do to get the water chemistry to a more stable and acceptable level? I feel the few fish I have lost have been from the PH shock that they get from the adjustment of the LFS that has a PH ranging from 7.2-7.6.

Thanks,
Rick

Welcome to AA!

Few questions so we can help.

You said you started and cycled your 15g tank. how did you cycle it? Your parameters look ok, so I do suspect it was cycled, just curious how you went about it.

How do you acclimate new fish before putting them into the tank?

About your pH. it's much more important to maintain a stable pH rather than trying to target a specific range to be in. The only time maintaining a specific pH is really important is if you're trying to breed. Most community fish will do fine in a tank with a pH of 8.2 assuming they were properly acclimated to it to avoid being shocked from the large difference in pH's from the LFS to your tank.

A few answers so you can help.
Set the tank up and let it run for 2 days. Added a some live plants and then added the 5 dainos and let create the cycle for about 2 weeks. When the parameters told me things we looking good I added more a few more plants and the rasbarrios. The rasbarrios didn't make it longer the 3-4 days. I performed my water change a little early and brought the water in to be tested. I made the mistake of brining the wife and kids with me to the store. When teh LFS confirmed that the PNN water looked good we ended up getting 4 mickey mouse platty. Everyone was fine and doing well for about another week. We added a speckled cory and the betta to the tank. After the betta and mates started acting up we removed him from the tank. Last Thursday I added an oto and dwarf gaurami. The Gaurami's body looked like it curled up to form a 'C' on Saturday night and had to be plucked out on Sunday morning.

As for additions of the fish to the tank. I let them float in the bag for about 20 minutes then open and add a cup of water to the bag and let it sit for another 15 minutes. Net the newbie out and put in the tank. Dispose of the other water down the drain. I usually do this entire activity later in the day, after work. The light remains on for a couple hours before going lights out for the day.

Thanks

IMO I'm not sure that your tank is completely cycle, mainly because the 0 Nitrates reading, but looks like is working for you.

I would say that all the fish will adapt to the high pH, not need to keep changing the ph down, because with your water changes you will keep seeing swings in the ph and this could be worst for the fish.

If you can keep it stable at the 8.2, the fish will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom