pH, GH, and KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know the relationship between pH and GH/KH? It seems to be somewhat unpredictable how they interact. I have two scenarios in particular that make the correlation between them unclear.

Scenario 1
I was fishless cycling my 10g tank a while back. It's a planted tank with java ferns/moss and two decent sized pieces of driftwood. My tank water is typically 7.8pH, and was in the tank during the cycle. My GH was a steady 6 degrees. My KH normally is at 4 degrees, but was dropping in my tank (to a low of 2 degrees) because I wasn't doing water changes while cycling, so the tannins built up. Despite the fact that the KH was sinking like a stone, the water remained a consistent 7.8pH.

Scenario 2
I just recently started up my 2.5g nano tank with shrimp. I transferred the backup filter and some of the java moss from my 10g tank. I also did use some of my tank water from the 10g to fill the 2.5g, mostly in an attempt to capture and transfer as many RCS as possible to it. The substrate I used in the tank, in order to avoid any scratches (acrylic), is Fluval Stratum. One thing I didn't know at the time is that this substrate has the claim that it will make the water neutral to slightly acidic. In this case, the GH only dropped from 6 to 5 degrees, and the KH dropped from 4 to 2 degrees. Unfortunately, the pH crashed to neutral, nearly killing all the RCS in the tank.

Now, from the first scenario, I had thought that the KH acted like a buffer for the pH, so as long as it was still above zero, the pH would be relatively stable. That believe was quickly debunked when the pH crashed in the second scenario. Granted, there's more Stratum per capita in the 2.5g than there is driftwood in the 10g, but it still doesn't make much sense how different the end result was considering the buffers behaved about the same way.

Here's another interesting tidbit to chew on. I was acclimating an RCS I found in my 10g tank to live in the 2.5g by periodically adding water from the 2.5g to the container the shrimp was in. After it was close to a 50/50 mix I tested the pH, and found it to be at the same 7.8 that the 10g reads. It wasn't somewhere in between 7.8 and 7.0, which is what I thought might happen, so I would think that buffers (KH) had a role to play in this.

Here's some questions I'd like to throw out there for thought. Suppose you had one gallon of 7.8pH water, and one gallon of 7.0pH water.

- If you dripped the 7.0pH water into the 7.8pH water over time, what would the pH be when complete?

- If you dripped the 7.8pH water into the 7.0pH water over time, what would the pH be when complete?

- If you immediately mixed the 7.0 and 7.8 water together, what would the resulting pH be?

Thanks for the article.

I'm still not sure it gives me enough to go on to understand why my pH behaved differently between the two tanks. If the KH was lowered enough by the substrate for the pH to drop in my 2.5g tank, then it should have also been low enough to also drop in my 10g tank with the tannin build up, but that didn't happen.

I've heard that tannins lower the Ph but I'm not sure of the quantity it would take or time involved. I have three large pieces of mopani wood that turned my water near black. After two months I still had zero Ph drop in that tank. Maybe the water changes prevented it.. but I think the amount and length of tannins would have to be in the water with no water changes, would have to be extreme.

Maybe it was simply volume of water involved making it a higher concentrate of the buffers in the water.

Back
Top Bottom