PH/KH/GH Rising after water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tested my water from the tap today, PH is 7.5 KH is 18 GH is 20. In the tank PH is 8 KH is 18 GH is 22. I thought a day later after the water aged it usually drops in PH KH and GH slightly, why is it the opposite for my tank? I also have tons of driftwood and I'm using organic dirt capped with sand for my substrate which I thought would lower it even more. I'm slightly confused, there is rocks in the tank from my lake but I don't think that is the problem (see below.) The tank is a 46g bowfront.

I have a 20g too and I remember back in the day when I tested it's water it would be ph 7-7.5 tested it today it's 8 nothing has been added or taken from that tank other then fish moved out of it, it also has the rocks from my lake in it but they have always been in there.

I've been trying to keep cherry shrimp for a while but I'm assuming with my high gh they can't molt properly and that is the reason for them dying off ever so slowly. All fish seem to be fine tho.

Thanks in advance.

Picture of my tank cause I feel like showing it off :p
Rocks will be arranged differently on the left when my driftwood sinks.
img_2983368_0_0845b16c1d32d3fa839f05db8b44fd52.jpg

I should probably specify when I say GH and KH are whatever number that is how many drops it took to change the colour of the water in the api test kit I don't know what ppm it is at lost the instructions.

Is there any source of limestone in your tank? The rocks? The dirt?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As far as I know, there is no limestone in the tank. That being said I do not know what the rock from my lake is made up of. I'll age my water in a bucket for 24hours and ill age another one with rock in it for 24 hours and get back to you guys with the results.

Also what is of-gassing dissolved co2?
I don't run co2 in my tank I use metricide 14 day tho

It would be co2 dissolved in the water naturally. The high kh rings a bell for this but that may just be for dinner :) Will have to do some reading.

Warming water or having it open to atmosphere or under less pressure could allow it to gas off (assuming lots present) like an open bottle of soft drink.

I would assume your woes with shrimp is related to something different than your kh, gh, and pH. RCS are ridiculously tolerant species.

What are your other parameters at? ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
How long have you had the shrimp that are slowly dying off?

I would assume your woes with shrimp is related to something different than your kh, gh, and pH. RCS are ridiculously tolerant species.

What are your other parameters at? ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
How long have you had the shrimp that are slowly dying off?

Ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 20 temp is 80f

I've heard with shrimp having a high temperature and high gh along with a high protein diet causes them to grow too fast and hardens their shell making it hard to molt their shell and they basically grow to big for the shell and die, tho I haven't seen proof of them having molt problems this is what I'm assuming.

Ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 20 temp is 80f

I've heard with shrimp having a high temperature and high gh along with a high protein diet causes them to grow too fast and hardens their shell making it hard to molt their shell and they basically grow to big for the shell and die, tho I haven't seen proof of them having molt problems this is what I'm assuming.

How long have you had the shrimp? Its really really common for shrimp to have a hard time adjusting to a new tank and end up dying because of it.

How long have you had the shrimp? Its really really common for shrimp to have a hard time adjusting to a new tank and end up dying because of it.

I haven't had them long so that could be the case ya. I bought 21 to start and I count 6 right now but they are hard to find in my tank so there could be more kicking around.

I haven't had them long so that could be the case ya. I bought 21 to start and I count 6 right now but they are hard to find in my tank so there could be more kicking around.

Are there any fish in there with them?

Alright, I let my water age for a day one bucket had lake rocks other had no rocks and the parameters are the same as the tank in both buckets, so for some reason my well water must have changed from when I first had my tank and things are going up rather than dropping.

When I was first keeping tanks my PH and such would go from 8 out of the tap to 7.5 in the tank after a day of aging, now it's going from 7.5 from the tap to 8 in the tank. Weird, water is weird.

Could it be seasonal? My tap water is different between summer and winter. The farm bore we had used to vary over summer (although that was largely from less rain).

Back
Top Bottom