PH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. If you're asking is it possible to keep your pH steady at the same level without using chemicals, then the answer is yes. Just keep up on your aquarium maintenance and the pH should remain the same (whatever it is out of the tap). On the other hand, if you're asking if it's possible to acheive a specific pH without the use of chemicals, then the answer is maybe. In large part it depends on what you mean by chemicals. For instance if you want a high pH for certain types of cichlids, then adding Crushed Coral will buffer the pH and will reach an equilibrium and stay there as long as the Crushed Coral is replenished periodically. For lower pH you can treat your water with peat or add driftwood, both of which release tanins which lower the pH. Again as long as these are used consistantly you'll have a consistantly lower pH level. Another option for lower pH levels is to get a RO unit and then mix the RO water with either some waste water or reconsitute it with a RO mix to achieve a specific pH level. Done consistantly you'll have a stable pH pretty much where ever you want it. Now if you're talking about those chemicals that are marketed to SET your pH to a specific level, most don't work at all well and if they do work don't tend to result in a stable pH.

well my ph dropped close to 5.4 on the chart. it started at 6.4 so within 2 days with a waterchange the ph went down a full point. I added the alk. booster and only put in 1/4 the recommended dose. it shot up to 7.2. It just doesnt sound like it is going to be to consistant that way. wondered if there was something i was missing in my tank. thanks for the feedback though. big help!

Yeah it would be good to check your GH/KH and if its really low then use some crushed coral or GH booster to buffer your water.

Also what water are you using for your aquarium? If it's RO water it's not going to have any buffering at all and would react much as you've described. RO water should be reconstituted before being used in an aquarium to avoid these problems.

I'd add baking soda or mix the water you are using with your tap water, if in fact you are using RO/DI water.

Back
Top Bottom