PH Test Kit Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swank

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey...I'm becoming skeptical of my aquarium pharmaceuticals PH test kit. Either I'm having a hard time reading it, or its not accurate, or my PH rose from 7.7 to 8.0 in only a couple of days.

WIth my new DIY CO2, I kind of expected PH to go down, at least a little. I know 39 gal. is a big tank for DIY, but to go up, in two or three days???

Any recommendations for an accurate, easy to read PH test kit???

Also, I know there was a thread recommending which test kits you should spring for the good stuff and which were okay for the cheaper, but I can't seem to find it again...

I swear by the Milwaukee 600 pH hand held tester. It gives you a digital reading accurate to .1. I bought mine on aquabid.com for $25 plus shipping.

pH can vary quite a bit. Are you sure your DIY system is actually getting into the aquarium?

Yeah...its only going into an airstone right now (my reactor is built, but its supposed to go inline on the filter intake, and I haven't figured out how to deal with the Fluval ribbed hosing yet)...the airstones actually putting out very nice, fine little bubbles....much better output and much smaller bubbles than I thought it would...

PH can vary that much though, eh??? hmmm....I was hoping it would drop considerably, eventually, and make the fish and plants a little happier...

25 bucks doesn't sound too bad for a godd tester...digital, eh??

Previously i was using Sera's then I switch to JBL test kit as their color chart is most easy to read in the market.

The digital tester would be best but they do need to recalibrate time to time.

I too use AP kit for pH, no problems.
An airstone isn't going to dissolve teh CO2 into the water very well...if at all. Still your pH shouldn't go up...unless its a new tank, and your tap water had CO2 in it, and it took a few days to outgas once added to teh tank.

Well unless you did a big water change, and the tap's full of CO2, then it's probably a test kit that's past it's prime.
Take a sample in and ask your LFS to test your pH, see what they come up with.

Only other reason pH would go up is a strong alkali was added ot the tank....like limestone rocks dissolving.
(just trying to explore all possibilities)

malkore said:
Well unless you did a big water change, and the tap's full of CO2, then it's probably a test kit that's past it's prime.
Take a sample in and ask your LFS to test your pH, see what they come up with.

Only other reason pH would go up is a strong alkali was added ot the tank....like limestone rocks dissolving.
(just trying to explore all possibilities)

All good things to look at...no big changes to tank (like the rocks) or big water change (I'm putting it off for just a few days while I while I add the CO2 reactor, do a better dosing regimine, and keep a close eye on my chemistry...)

I think I'll take that sample to the LFS to compare their ph reading...good idea.

Back
Top Bottom