PH went from 7.0 to 6.4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ACEONE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need some help. ever since I have begun this hobby my PH has always been 7.0 or 7.2. A few days ago after using Prime my PH went to 6.4 or 6.6. I went to Big Al's and the guy told me that Prime makes that happen sometimes and recommeded that I keep using Amquel Plus like I have been. I also told him that I began to use Proper PH 7.0 but it hasn't changed anything. I just did 2 test today, one in the morning and one a few minutes ago and the PH is still 6.4. And yes I have done several water changes. I even check the water before it goes in the tank and it is around 7.4 to 7.6. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Welcome to AA!!!

Do you know what your kH is? that might be key to diagnosing your problem.
How old is your tank?

What is the pH of your tap water? It might also be prudent get some of your tap water and let it sit for 24 hours and then test it.

Stop using the Proper pH. It's going to cause your water to fluctuate. Prime is fine for water chances. The hardness in your tank may be too low causing a lack of buffering ability.

Prime dosen't change the water's pH (at the appropriate dose.... make sure you are using the right amount - you only need a TINY amount for Prime ... something like 1/100 the amount for Amquel.)

How big is the tank & how much water have you changed out? If your tap is 7.4, doing a big water change should move the pH back in the right direction.

Some possibility of the pH crash:
Your KH is low & buffering capacity is exhaushed .... check KH & do more frequent pcw to replenish the KH.
You have something dead & rotting in the tank, or a lot of MULM or rotting driftwood, plant material, etc.

Finally, do not use any pH altering chemicals, that just causes pH swings. If your tap water has low KH, then it is best to buffer it with a carbonate source like crushed coral. Otherwise, you should use pwc to maintain your KH & pH.

Back
Top Bottom