Philips 9 watt 4,100K Compact Fluorescent Bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just finishing up a DIY hood for my FW planted tank (20g) and am debating which lights to put in it. I am currently considering this CFL by philips. I have these exact bulbs in the mirror in my bathroom and I like to cool white light it gives off and I think it would be plenty bright enough (just by the looks). The HD write up lists it as a 4100k bulb with equal "light" as a 40 watt incandescent (i know, you can't really compare CFL with Incandescent but i don't have much else to go on)

I was thinking about putting at least two in the hood. Perhaps 4 (there's plenty of room)

Any thoughts, concerns or better suggestions?

Thanks Everyone!

I'd go with something a little higher K if you can find it in the size you want. I originally installed 4100K lights and they were really yellow looking in the tank. They look white just in the room, but once you put them over the water it seems to bring out the yellow.

Replaced them a week later with 6500K bulbs. MUCH better. :)

Just remeber 9watts is 9 watts. the "equal to 40 watts" is fine for room lighting, but for aq use, you're still getting 9 watts per bulb, for total 36 watts, >2wpg.

If I were you, I'd try to get some higher wattage, see if you can get it up to over 3 wpg. You can grow a wider range of plants that way.

thanks for the replies!

I'm perhaps re-thinking this then. For this particular 20 gallon tank then, is there any advantage with going with the CFL lights rather than going with 2x20watts flourecents? (other than the extra 6 watts if I used 4x13 CFLs)??

I think it would just be a lot simpler to wire two 20 watt bulbs than it would be to wire up four of the CFLs.

I appreciate your opinions! keep em comin!!

Well if you go with the AH Supply kits you are going to get some reflectors that will really help get the light into the tank where it is supposed to be. Depending on which 20 gallon tank you have you might just want to get one higher wattage light and go that way.

Back
Top Bottom