Pictures (finally)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, here it is. I know, they look horrible with all the algae, but I'm in the process of forming an anti-algae army that will eradicate the annoying stuff. I am getting a few more plants, one that will hide the heater and a java fern for on the driftwood.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, here's a pic of one of my badis. They change colors all the time; it's pretty cool. Sorry it's so fuzzy, I have a dinosaur digicam that's only 1.3 megapix and the guy is so tiny!!

Looks good shawmutt. That driftwood stump is awesome! In a couple of months the plants will grow and fill in some bare spaces.

As a side note: Keep in mind, the best way to keep algae at bay is to keep your water para's in check and light cycle set correctly. An army of algae eaters is'nt the answer. Otherwise, when all the algae is gone, you might have another problem on your hands. Dead algae eaters 8O

You injecting CO2?

Keep up the great work. The tanks looking good. :wink:

the best way to keep algae at bay is to keep your water para's in check and light cycle set correctly

my water parameters are ok, I'm checking them again on Friday and I'll post the actual numbers. The lights on for 12 hours--should it be lower?

You injecting CO2?

I'm doing a DIY CO2 yeast setup with 2 2-liter bottles, one gets switched out every week.

When I had my lights on for 12 hours, it was algae city, not metropolis. I was encouraged to lower the time to 7-8 and now have lights on for 7. I reacently got rid of the anacharis in the tank so it's back to algae city.

That's alot of wpg. It was Tankgirl that suggested I put my lights on a timer. They are on for 3 hours in the morning, then 5 at night. That break really helped my algae prob.

HTH

Right, Brian, the "siesta" method of algae control. I've been chastised on other forums for suggesting this, as it is not a definitive solution at all, but it has worked for me, LOL!

There are situations where it does not work, as it takes some of the steam out of the optimal plant growth (that is the real cure for algae), but especially if you are at work all day and won't notice a few hours of blackout in the middle of the day it can really solve the problem.

Another vote for the timers and a siesta. My schedule: on for three hours in the morn. off for three hours. On again for five hours before shutting off for the night.

As a side note: Can anyone point out one single spot on this entire earth were the sunshines exactly 12 hours a day, 365 days a year?

Hey swawmutt,

I can't recall how many gallon tank your running on this set up? Also, what method you using on your reactor for the DIY CO2?

I can't recall how many gallon tank your running on this set up? Also, what method you using on your reactor for the DIY CO2?

30 gallon (the one in my sig). As far as method, what do you mean?

As a side note: Can anyone point out one single spot on this entire earth were the sunshines exactly 12 hours a day, 365 days a year?

At the equator, the sun is up for almost 12 hours every day of the year.

Here's another side note: I wonder if some aquarium plants are like some house plants and benefit from a "down time" of less light?

Without looking it up, wouldn't it do that around the whole world on the equator? I say this on the assumption that the equator is the exact midpoint between the poles, and shouldn't be affected by the seasonal tilt of the earth's axis. no tilt, no change in sunrise/sunset, exact center, so night and day should be exactly equal in length, thus, 12 hours sun, 12 hours dark, 365 days a year.

I would not be surprised if somehow I'm wrong, but I'm relying on my memory of public school science classes! :roll:

Ahhh, my point exactly Shawmutt. Most plants around the world recieve varing amounts of sunlight through out the year (all thing factored in...soltist, weather paterns etc).

WOW your 30g equipment is exactly like my 40g. Great choices LOL. Are you running your CO2 into your XP can?

MORE stem plants!!! Get some hornwort in there and your algae problems will be minimized in half the time. I prefer to load up a new tank with fast-growing stem plants and gradually replace them with permanent plants. you have some, but I think you'd do better with more.

Here's my 42 hex. It uses a 250W metal halide / pc combo prism pendant for lighting. The increased wattage is necessary since the tank is 2 feet deep. It also uses an automated pressurezed co2 system.

This picture was taken right before I trimmed the plants down. They grow rather quickly, and of course those hulking goldfish sometimes like to dig them out. They make up for it by being pretty. :)

tank_082804.jpg

The halide bulb is a 250w 6500k Iwasaki, and the pc bulbs are two 32W Ultra Actinics.

Get some hornwort in there and your algae problems will be minimized in half the time.

I'm going to be getting a bunch of shrimp to munch on the algea soon, so I kinda want the algea. However, hornwort is a good idea, I will look into that.

Are you running your CO2 into your XP can?

Not yet--in the right side of my pic you'll see the bubble ladder I'm using. I'm getting a little po'd at the ladder because it's becoming a pita to maintain. If anything, like algea, or a stray leaf, gets in the way it disrupts the bubbles.

Here's my 42 hex.
Cool tank! Love the madagascar lace plant.

*updated* Pictures (finally)

I went out and bought some java fern and hornwort (thanks cc), and moved all my plants around to hide the equipment better. I also reinstalled my black background.

So, without further ado:

Back
Top Bottom