Pim Ornatus with African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandyf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted this in cichlids but didn't get any responses. Maybe it was in the wrong place. Thanks for any help.:)

I have a 90g community tank that I'm going to turn into an African cichlid tank. I'd like to keep my 5" pimalodella ornatus catfish though. Can he hold his own with africans (mbuna most likely). Thanks.

from what iv heard, they get nipped a lot. also can get chased to a corner. however the fact it is now 5in means it may stand a chance, if u get juvie africans that get used to the Pim.
basically i say give it a go and see if it works or not, but have a back up plan at the ready i.e a spare tank etc xx

I do plan on getting juvies so maybe that'll work. And my lfs said they would buy him back (for $20 and I paid $60 ugh) but it's a plan if he's getting picked on. Thanks for your help.

Ouch, $60 for a fish that sells for $20 (what they paid for it) is a big markup. However, you have 2 options here. Take the $20 they offer for the fish, or lose all the money when the African cichlids kill it. Not to mention that the water conditions are completely opposite for the species. Also consider, Africans small enough not to be a problem will grow larger (and more aggressive,) assuming the cat doesn't eat them first.

Hmm excellent point. Why risk it. Money aside, it's not fair to put either the cat or the cichlids into that situation. With all the $ I spend in this hobby what's another couple bucks : )

You'd probably save a bit of $$ buying online, even with shipping costs. Do your research, figure out what you want to stock, then check out aquabid and the classified sections on some of the numerous forums. IME you almost always get better stock from other hobbyists than from fish farms (usual source of lfs stock) and much less likely to bring along Ich or other nasties.

Yeah I should do that. I always shy away from online fish purchases. I'm not sure why... I've gotten other things like lizards but I guess I would save alot of money if I went that route.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom