PIRAHNAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTAM963

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering what is the smallest tank I could do a couple pirahnas in? I would buy them about 1 inch and see how many last..Last time I got 3 for my 30 gallon hex and eventually the biggest one ate the others??!/ Any advice?? I was feeding them ghost shrimp and small feeders weekly also..

You would have to have a very large tank. While some species of piranhas don't get that large, they are a messy fish, much like goldfish. What piranhas are you planning to get? It makes quite a difference as they vary in size.

I think they are just the red bellied ones...they were like 5 bucks for 1 inch fish...I believe red bellied..had spots all over the small ones...like their stomachs were all spotted..didn't even look at name though

The majority of them get >12" and are pretty hefty. I'd want at least a 70g tank for that (just one).

These get to about 12" in length. I wouldn't keep more than one in a 70 gallon tank as well. Even when buying fish small, aiming for their full grown size should be considered. Keeping piranhas is no small task, and unless you have the space and time dedicated to them, I wouldn't try it.

Back
Top Bottom