Pitbull pleco in groups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are pitbull plecos doing better in groups/pairs/alone?

Has anyone experience with them and can tell me if I will see them at all during the day? I have a densely planted 70gal with black gravel. Will that help so they'll come out during the day somewhat? Or are they more like hamster and don't want to be disturbed during the day?

Sorry, if the last question sound a little ignorant, but I've never had a pleco, only Amano Shrimps :puppydogeyes: .

I had no idea they liked to be in groups. My little guy has been kicking around in the tank for over two years. There are other dwarf plecos in there, but no pitbulls.

I'm having trouble finding more in my area to increase my numbers so my two hang out with a baby bristlenose. :?

They are almost all wild caught and should be avail this and next month in lfs ... This is what I was told by lfs that is good ...

Yes they like groups but do fine alone

Thank you all very much! You think a group of 3 would be ok for a 70 gal? I also would like to add some Amano Shrimp. Has anybody experience with pleco and Shrimps? Do they get along well?

I wouldn't worry about them bothering your shrimp. They are a very peaceful pleco. I don't keep my pitbulls with shrimp but I do keep other small species of plecos with ghost shrimp and have never had a problem with them bothering the shrimp. Also, in a tank that size, I would go for five. They take prepared foods eagerly. Mine love squash, melon, shrimp pellets and algae wafers.

Thanks Cindy, that was what I was wondering about. The Amanos are quite "large" shrimp and the plecos quite "small".

I will call my lfs on Monday and order pitbull plecos, a female dwarf gourami (they only had males), and some amanos.

Can't wait... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom