Placing ornaments on Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zonatedsumo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am due to put sand in my tank and was just wondering if I have to put the ornaments in before the sand or can I put the ornaments straight onto the sand?

I am planning to keep cardinal tetra rams dinos and corys

What kind of ornaments and how thick of a substrate? If it's an ornament that is unlikely to be moved, you may eventually get an anaerobic pocket beneath it. This is not an issue if they are small ornaments that can be moved during maintenance or if you have burrowers that like to dig through the sand. In my tanks with sand, I always run my fingers through the sand when doing a water change.

David

Sorry for the late reply. It's a large wall about 45cm by 8 or 9cm it's hollow as well so fish can swim in it.

If you have sand i would reccommend some trumpet snails to help with aeration. They can become overwhelming and take over, but if you do not overfeed your fish the population will stay somewhat in check and they will be. Great ddition. Will help prevent pockets in the sand

Ok so if go for the snails how many do I start of with. So wi they eat my live plants

Back
Top Bottom