Platy female showing increase in size.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a female platy who is increasing in size but due to her coloration I cannot spot a gravid spot but she's been large since I brought her home from the lfs. What can I do to distinguish if she's preggo or just a large female. And if she's nearing labor time what helps kickstart proper labor

If there were other males in the tank you bought her from, she might be preggo. if she is preggo, the best thing to do is seperate her into a breeding tank where she can have labor without problems, make sure you separate her before it's too late. she might drop fry prematurely if you do it too late. if you can't move her to another tank, just make her as comfortable as you can, ie. lots of hiding places and feeding her well.

So I should keep her in the ten gallon alone until she drops. She was in a mixed tank prior.

Oh no the ten is housing 2 other females and a male I could relocate to my 30

alright then you're good :) it might take up to a month to drop fry and she might release a few a day over the week. good luck with your fry! i've got about 5-6 platy fry that are just barely 1 cm long

I had fry drop in my 30 but sadly as I was getting ready for work and my tetras gobbled them up so I devised the plan of making my ten gallon the breeder tank. I wanna see what colorations I get

Ok now I have a female platy kind of acting like a loner hovering low and avoiding the others. She's not increasing in size and is very skittish. Any ideas?

She was fine before, maybe she is stressed from moving from the ten gallon or she recently became preggo. I posted pics in another thread

Back
Top Bottom