pleco ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all. I picked up these two yesterday and they were labeled only as ancistrus. The one has very small/sparse orange dots while the other has larger but still sparse white spots. I've looked through the ancistrus on planetcatfish but there are so many that look alike. I thought they might be starlight but my starlights have busier spotting. Anyone know what these may be? These aren't great pics, I'll try to get better ones if needed. They are quick and swim under the driftwood when I get close with the camera. TIA

Good find.
I am making a point of buying any odd plec I see because I like them so much. I am also investing in a Zuchini farm!
Try posting these pics at www.plecofanatics.com and I am sure an L # will be returned before you hit submit! Jeff

Thanks Cafe Jeff. I'll give that a shot. I have a weak spot for plecos myself that will probably soon get me in trouble. LOL

Having a weak spot for plecos is easy! They are just too cool! My clown pleco is still my favorite fish I've ever had. I would get another one but I don't want to risk him not having enough food. I put a cucumber slice in there a few months ago, but since then I have not so much as put any food in there for the pleco or the oto's and they are still alive and healthy so I am assuming Mr. Clown Pleco is finding enough food (or just chewing my driftwood to pieces). :)

This is just a guess but the second picture looks a lot like a bushy nose pleco that I put in my tank a few months ago. He died less than 24 hours after I put him in ( :( ) from stress I think. Anyway, the bushy nosed plecos don't get their 'bushy' nose until they grow up a bit, and until then they are a dark color with little white spots all over! I could be wrong, but unless your LFS carries oddball plecos, that's my guess on the second one.

Paul

It would be cool if it was a brushy/bristlenose. I have other bristles but the one in the second pic isn't as thick bodied and it's tail is different. Almost lyred. These pics are horrible. I'm gonna have to try to get better ones. I tried the plecofanatics site but it's not as user friendly as AA and I can't figure out how to download pics in the forum. Thanks.

No, but thanks for the suggestion. Peppermints have a white seam when this young. I guess I'll have to give them some time to mature and see what happens. The second one tolerated me taking more pics this morning. The other one is hiding in java fern so new pics weren't possible. Here's it is. I know the spots look yellow but they are actually white. Bad lighting. The other one actually has tiny gold spots. Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom