Pleco ID.... no pics..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I cannot get a good pic of this pleco! My LFS had it but didnt know what it was so I paid 6.99 for it. It is 4 or 5 inches long I would guess. It is dark brown with orangish spots all over it. The spots look very specifically shaped. Like old camouflage. All rounded. No fuzziness. It has a deep mouth with high eyes.
If you could post pics of what pleco you think it is maybe I will see the one. The thing is in a corner and our cameras are.... not for fish. If he comes out in the open I will try to snap a pic.
Thanks and God bless!

Does it look like this? It's probably a common pleco they get to be about 2 feet long so be prepared.

image-3796411635.jpg

Does it look like this? It's probably a common pleco they get to be about 2 feet long so be prepared.

View attachment 157308
Body shape is near identical and it has the extremely tall fin but the spots are inverted and a different shape. The basic color is dark brown the spots are orangish brown. Also they are shaped like completely clear painted blots. No blending of the colors.

It's still probably a common considering you got it for 7$, they have different color variations.

It's still probably a common considering you got it for 7$, they have different color variations.
It is definetly not a common. I have never seen a common like this one. The closest I have seen to it was a orange marbled pleco.

It is definetly not a common. I have never seen a common like this one. The closest I have seen to it was a orange marbled pleco.

Well it's almost impossible without a pic try finding one close to it on google if you can't get a pic?

If it was a golden nugget let me know where you bought it haha 7$ for a golden nugget would be an amazing price!

True! Didn't think about it! You never know though! I found starlight plecos for 10$ at my LFS . Of course my dad had to be like "if they were really that rare they wouldn't be 10$!". So I didn't get on.

Sorry for off topic OP. I'm still thinking clown though.

This is the closest I could find pattern wise. Color is a little darker and the dots are not quite so close together.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 128
This is it I think! What is it?

Attachments

• zzzz.jpg
    zzzz.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 95
I dont think that is what it is because all of the pics I saw when I looked it up were the ones that had circles.

Count the number bars in his dorsal fin, if there is alot the its most likely a common pleco. Looking into tiger pleco trinidad and clown pleco. Tell me if he looks like any of those

Count the number bars in his dorsal fin, if there is alot the its most likely a common pleco. Looking into tiger pleco trinidad and clown pleco. Tell me if he looks like any of those
Nope niether of those. Gonna try to count the rays.

This is mine. He finally came out! It looks like 12 or 13 bony spines on the dorsal.

Attachments

• DSCN2875.jpg
    DSCN2875.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom