Pleco Identification Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW. Im trolling?

I have wasted my time and others time to benefit how?? Ive put them in a 3ft tank meant for my angelfish im getting friday, for the fun of it? Yes Ive done all this for fun! Your right. Im trolling.

Im at the point of looking for a breeder who has bred many of different species to see if they will come look at these plecs if I pay them. But hey! Yeah im doing that because its fun!

Cheers for the response on my post

Hey man... If you haven't left the forum already, lets think this through...

All of us see a formal BN and a small Common. And a bunch of fry that don't look like either parent (some, i guess, look like the female BN). So, to us, it looks like your friend just bought a few babies and put them in his tank and told you that they bred. It really doesn't look legit.

Thats what we see. You don't know the solution either, and while what we are saying obviously doesn't appeal to you it seems like the only plausible solution. It is, on a tiny margin, possible that they crossbred. But the fry would probably look much different, if they were able to survive at all.

So i would just reconsider what you've been saying about us. We are pointing out what we see and what science has to say, and you are trusting your friend on the subject of legitimacy.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Hey man... If you haven't left the forum already, lets think this through...

All of us see a formal BN and a small Common. And a bunch of fry that don't look like either parent (some, i guess, look like the female BN). So, to us, it looks like your friend just bought a few babies and put them in his tank and told you that they bred. It really doesn't look legit.

Thats what we see. You don't know the solution either, and while what we are saying obviously doesn't appeal to you it seems like the only plausible solution. It is, on a tiny margin, possible that they crossbred. But the fry would probably look much different, if they were able to survive at all.

So i would just reconsider what you've been saying about us. We are pointing out what we see and what science has to say, and you are trusting your friend on the subject of legitimacy.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

+1

Science is science. This couldn't even be an anomaly.

Caleb

Look,

I came here for advise and help. Not to be called liar or anything like that.

I have asked over various forums, Aquaitic shops and people on facebook I Know,

Im getting responses like
"Plec will cross breed, it's rare, all bristlesnose have bristles even the female, yours could be hybrids from such as orange fin plec who only grow to 5" max,
Normally the distance between front and rear fin would indicate sex, females is shorter and they appear broad between. I would say both are not bristlesnose."

"I'd say the brown which is going to be the male is cross and the albino is a BN pleco."

" I think the albino is a female ancistrus of the normal aquarium strain (it doesn't have a formal species or L number).
The mottled dark one is a bit different, especially with those blue eyes. Since they have managed to breed, he is most likely an ancistrus too, but a different species."

Then someone else saying their both bristlenose just without the bristles.

I would say, Yes the albino could be a BN, But then in my opinion alot of albino's will look the same through lots of species. Their is a good chance the brown is mix of ancistrus family.. Just trying to get clues of what.

Someone even suggested putting a male BN in the tank to see if their is a territory fight because that will prove one is a male blah blah.. I am not doing that!

You need to understand that you are new to this forum, there is no info about you in your profile, not even a location and you are making big claims with primary posts.

Pictures are not scientific evidence. They can be doctored so easily. Perhaps if there was video of the fish spawning it would be slightly more believable but most of us regulars are skeptics and tend to side with the scientific explanations for things versus just blindly believing. You have provided no scientific evidence to back any of these claims up yet you get mad at us for not believing you? Sorry but until I see hard data proving what you are claiming I don't buy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

OK let's just say the impossible happened and they did cross, how would the eggs hatch and they fry grow to that size in a day? Someone's chain is getting yanked, because again that "male" pleco could very well be be female seeing that Hypostomus species need to be much larger before they can be sexed. If you want I can give you the contact info for a friend of mine who is one of the countries top pleco breeders, but your answer will be the same.

Got more..
Pictures of the male too

DSC_0548.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0546.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0541.jpg

DSC_0540.jpg

DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg

OP... I am not always a Fan of the answers i get here, but you have to listen to the huge knowledge base that these people have. This isn't an argument against hybridized species, we are just trying to say that its about 99.9% impossible... You came here to try to get answers, you got to here what everyone thinks. If you don't like it, it really is on you... It really isn't a personal thing, everyone is just trying to say that something is wrong here...

And pics aren't going to do much without data to back them up... I think your friend is pulling your leg and its only leading to you having a bad day.

You need to understand that you are new to this forum, there is no info about you in your profile, not even a location and you are making big claims with primary posts.

Pictures are not scientific evidence. They can be doctored so easily. Perhaps if there was video of the fish spawning it would be slightly more believable but most of us regulars are skeptics and tend to side with the scientific explanations for things versus just blindly believing. You have provided no scientific evidence to back any of these claims up yet you get mad at us for not believing you? Sorry but until I see hard data proving what you are claiming I don't buy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thats fair enough.

Ive been keeping fish for a few years.

I breed Glowlight tetra, Zebra danio, Leopard danio, cherry barbs and now doing cardinal Tetra.

also plan to do rummynose tetra, phantoms and possibly angelfish soon.

I breed and document my breeding alot.

I have longfin german rams who I am also trying to breed.

Peppered cory is my fav cory along with spotted.

I did the whole live bearer "breeding" for ages, its not breeding its just catching fat ones and putting them in a box when their gravid spot appears.

I have the following tanks

5ft acrylic I made myself pic attached.
3ft jewel
125 fluval which I breed BN pleco in.
3x 2ft 70 litre tanks
3ft livebearer tank
and about 6 25l fry tanks.

Im also taking pottery classes to learn how to make pots and caves which are safe for aquairums and also doing alot of indepth research on making fish tank ornaments which are safe for aquariums.

im 27, from the uk. Peterborough and im also a web developer. I foster cats for woodgreen and cats protection and twice month volunteer for the RSPCA.

DSC_0179.jpg

OK let's just say the impossible happened and they did cross, how would the eggs hatch and they fry grow to that size in a day? Someone's chain is getting yanked, because again that "male" pleco could very well be be female seeing that Hypostomus species need to be much larger before they can be sexed. If you want I can give you the contact info for a friend of mine who is one of the countries top pleco breeders, but your answer will be the same.

I dont think you read what I put right, My friend had his first batch about 8 weeks ago. eaten by an oscar.

He moved the 2 plecs and the sub to another tank and had another batch 3-4 weeks ago.

Yesterday I went and got 2 adults (Who bred) and 2 fry one albino and one brown and the submarine and put them in my empty 3ft tank. I have taken them on because he doesnt want breeding so now Ive given him two female BN's, I want to document the two fry i have as in their growth rates etc. But I am struggling to ID the actual Pleco Species.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445467455.780423.jpg

Does this happen to be your thread?

Because if so, you seem to be acting ignorant on multiple fronts... The people here say that the Common/Sailfin Plecos (which is the "male" or yours) cant breed in captivity.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445467545.746718.jpg

As well, he said that the dominant gene would win.

The thread says that the fish are displaying the traits of a common BN. Well, the only BN is an albino, so if the offspring were BN lookalikes, they would be albino. And if they were the Common/Sailfin (which they cant be) they wouldn't have the spots or tail stripe.

None of what you're saying makes sense, and you appear to have a different story on the other site...

Not trying to be a donkey here, but how can you not see why everyone thinks this is a lie?

OP... I am not always a Fan of the answers i get here, but you have to listen to the huge knowledge base that these people have. This isn't an argument against hybridized species, we are just trying to say that its about 99.9% impossible... You came here to try to get answers, you got to here what everyone thinks. If you don't like it, it really is on you... It really isn't a personal thing, everyone is just trying to say that something is wrong here...

I am at no point in the illusion someone will say

YES thats this species. I dont think that at all.
Im hoping someone might have a clue what sorta of line they are though

The line they are is known as "a troll". Im bowing out of this, unless i have something else useful to say.

Ive been reading alot and going off what others have said..

For them to have albino babies, the brown is carrying an albino gene too, That gene has to be the same gene as what the albino has. so The brown could be a cross breed,
The brown also has blue trace in his eyes, which leads me to the L144, The albino could be a pure L144, and the brown is a cross of something and L144 (yes im aware the L144 is no longer pure).

one or two the fry look lile L364

then also looking at
l357
l365

My only issue is.. neither have bristles

-----

I Have a lot of Bristlenose plec that are female with no bristles, I have some which have tiny ones on their top lips. But never seen a male without bristles.

The line they are is known as "a troll". Im bowing out of this, unless i have something else useful to say.

+1 my years of research and keeping is wasted here.

View attachment 279540

Does this happen to be your thread?

Because if so, you seem to be acting ignorant on multiple fronts... The people here say that the Common/Sailfin Plecos (which is the "male" or yours) cant breed in captivity.

View attachment 279541

As well, he said that the dominant gene would win.

The thread says that the fish are displaying the traits of a common BN. Well, the only BN is an albino, so if the offspring were BN lookalikes, they would be albino. And if they were the Common/Sailfin (which they cant be) they wouldn't have the spots or tail stripe.

None of what you're saying makes sense, and you appear to have a different story on the other site...

Not trying to be a donkey here, but how can you not see why everyone thinks this is a lie?

No thats not mine.

These pleco can not be any larger than 6 inch fully grown in my opinion.
1. Growth rate in a year is 1/4-1/2 inch
2. breeding at 2.5 inch - 3.5 inch

Thats not my thread at all.

---

Also I have a common Pleco!

12087999_10153719505876501_3728853723997903851_n.jpg

Meet Casey

OK!

Ignore the fact they bred... Ignore that!!

Put is down Freak breeding whatever..

Wild stabs in the dark..

What would you say these plecs are?

we know one is male, one is female.
neither have bristles
sexual maturity size around 3 inches
growth rate in year 1/4 to 1/2 inch

No thats not mine.

These pleco can not be any larger than 6 inch fully grown in my opinion.
1. Growth rate in a year is 1/4-1/2 inch
2. breeding at 2.5 inch - 3.5 inch

Thats not my thread at all.

---

Also I have a common Pleco!

12087999_10153719505876501_3728853723997903851_n.jpg

Meet Casey

Oh heres my 5ft
DSC_0397.jpg

as you can see casey moves stuff alot
DSC_0350.jpg
here you can see the white edge on my 5ft and casey moving the bog wood again